Huawei Blames 'Lack of Innovation' on Loss of Steve Jobs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Instead of whining about lack of innovation, why doesn't Huawei just step up and inject their share of innovative ideas into the market?

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]Instead of whining about lack of innovation, why doesn't Huawei just step up and inject their share of innovative ideas into the market?[/citation]
You want the Chinese to innovate? How novel.

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Aits a bit bad when people can't give a little credit to a guy after he's gone. I've worked on every type of phone over the past 20 years, the manufacturers sent me them for free because they wanted our products on their devices. The iPhone was the only phone I ever paid for, and it was a vast improvement over every other phone on the market at the time. I had 20+ Windows Mobile apps on the go back then and loved the platform, yet I could see that they were dead in the water after the iPhone release.

There were practically no capacitive touch devices out there, and certainly not multi-touch. Apple brought accelerometers and gyroscopes, small thin form factors, integrated Internet apps that worked and were a joy to use. And an interface that was smooth and transitioned from one app to another... the list goes on.

Without the iPhone we wouldn't be where we are today, and for that I than Steve Jobs!

Let the hate commence... Lets see those thumb downs :)

G

Zak Islam is by far the most annoying person on Tom's Hardware. So far up Apple's a**hole that only his shoelaces are visible.

And no, Jobs was not a f***ing visionary. Stop throwing that word around.

qwerty99

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
For anyone in this thread that has said what they just read was the "stupidest" thing ever has not seen much of the internet.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
when a chinese comany tells you your plastic is cheap, you know you have problems

and it's really funny that they say they make the best products

[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]If he had had slammed Apple instead of Samsung people in here would be congratulating him. Bunch of hypocrites.[/citation]
He was slamming them both; that, and he was praising his own company's products. Show me a CEO that doesn't do that.
Quit acting like someone spat in your soup.

ianpac

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Jobs the great innovator. He copied other people's ideas then duplicated them over and over again in the same format. Ipod, Iphone, Ipad - they are all the same device. Jobs the great marketer more like.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Let's separate two things here. One, it is a fact the iPhone created a new category in mobile phone eco-system. What Apple did was take all of the good ideas from multiple platforms and use their own R&D to design something that people actually wanted. For most techie people this was a slap in the face because Apple would not let you play with the device and modify it. The problem is that only techies find that to be a bad thing.

I have said it time and time again, when I buy a toaster, I do not want to modify it to cook eggs! Keep it Simple Stupid! or K.I.S.S method

Now many find what Huawei's CEO said to be a bunch of crap, but in reality it is 100% true.
Without Apple we would not be here today at this stage of development.

What is the other argument that is stated time and time again, "we would be here anyway without Apple" ... Reality, yes you are right, but you are 100 % wrong with the timeline! Without Apple we could be 5 years behind which would be Phablets would not be around for another 5 years and tablets would most likely be locked into slow iterations from Microsoft.

I would suggest, if you don't like Apple, just move on. If you don't like Huawei, then move on... If you want to stay in your little corner in life go right ahead.

It is more tiring reading a bunch of idiots who have designed anything complain about everything...

Just FYI, most likely something you own today has something running inside of it because of me. Just remember that!

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]Just FYI, most likely something you own today has something running inside of it because of me. Just remember that![/citation]
I didn't mark you up or down. I'm just curious, what have you done that's so special?

marcolorenzo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]Could someone please slap all these Chinese wannabe companies on the face and tell them to get back to the back of the line. Everything they know, they stole - they reverse engineered everything, not even the "acceptable" way, but straight up stole trade secrets and copied them without any regard for international laws. Show me one single electronic device, one single manufacturing process, one single effective business practice that is originally Chinese. What have the Chinese given the West that improved on anything. They import European, Canadian and American engineers to train their "experts" at everything - EVERYTHING - because simple ideas, concepts, they simply can't materialize. Pretty much same thing goes for South Korea and Taiwan, but at least they invest in R&D and they perfected manufacturing processes. Japan, of course, is king.[/citation]

Wow you really don't know anything. Better sit back down before you pop a vein or something trying so hard to get noticed...

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Naturally, the king of phone manufacturing trolling will miss some of the people he has trolled over the years. What will Huawei copy and beat to the chinese market now that an iconic figure like Jobs is gone? There is no single person he can look upon as a visionary because the creators and innovators at other companies don't have advertised names. Instead they are the company. Samsung, Microsoft, or Nokia.

ivanto

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
"In the past people understood that the best products came from Apple or Samsung. We want to change this so that people understand that the best products come from Huawei. That's my target."

What is he smoking?!

There are people who may argue that "some of the best products came from Apple" but Samsung?

Samsung was always know as a mid/low tier, low price, mass producer. Yes, Galaxy S3 is winner and a great phone, but it's more of an exception.

PepiX

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
[citation][nom]pacomac[/nom]Without the iPhone we wouldn't be where we are today, and for that I than Steve Jobs![/citation]

It is very simplistic to expect that without the first one to implement something it would never be invented/constructed..

[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]I have said it time and time again, when I buy a toaster, I do not want to modify it to cook eggs! Keep it Simple Stupid![/citation]

Does that mean you would find it stupid to have something more than a calculator on your PC? When you have a multi-purpose tool it is stupid to expect it to be limited.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]...They import European, Canadian and American engineers to train their "experts" at everything - EVERYTHING - because simple ideas, concepts, they simply can't materialize. Pretty much same thing goes for South Korea and Taiwan, but at least they invest in R&D and they perfected manufacturing processes. Japan, of course, is king.[/citation]

Kindly remember your own history as the US has done the same in the past.
Almost everything you use in your daily life was not invented in the USA and after WWII the US scooped up German engineers for example to build the Rockets to land on the moon.

Cars, Gasoline or Diesel Engines, Concrete to build the roads, Railroads, the logic that makes computers tick... not was originated in the USA.

It is a natural step in a developing country to look at what the leaders do. Look at Japanese cars from the 70s vs. what they build today.

[citation][nom]hp79[/nom]I don't know about all the other stuff he's saying, but I can relate to samsung using cheap material.Here's a thread of my Galaxy Note with a photo of a crack.http://forum.xda-developers.com/sh [...] ?t=2044405[/citation]
Pretty impressive. A crack is much better than shattered.

[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom] Just FYI, most likely something you own today has something running inside of it because of me. Just remember that![/citation]
Are you the spirit of Tesla?

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]I didn't mark you up or down. I'm just curious, what have you done that's so special?[/citation]

I have help design some of the features that were found in the installation process of Windows Vista and Windows 7.

I have also contributed to the medical community.

Was part of the team that designed the fundamental elements of the Kinect system (which was orginally designed for medical use)

I also designed hardware accessories prototypes that were used with Compaq iPaq PDAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.