Huawei Blames 'Lack of Innovation' on Loss of Steve Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
People need to learn, Steve Jobs was not an innovator over the last 10 years, he's been an iterator. What Jobs did was take ideas for other people that were seperated across multiple products and instead combined all those ideas into a single product.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
I don't feel that Steve Jobs was solely responsible for innovation. However, it takes talent to be able to find the best ideas out of your employees and to get it to the business suits so that they make it to market.

G

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ8pQVDyaLo

Tablet from 1969's - 2001 A Space Odyssey. It includes flat screen, facetime and siri.

Jobs wasn't an innovator. Apple was however the first to bring one of these to market, so they do deserve some credit, not a patent, just a pat on the shoulder.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Could someone please slap all these Chinese wannabe companies on the face and tell them to get back to the back of the line. Everything they know, they stole - they reverse engineered everything, not even the "acceptable" way, but straight up stole trade secrets and copied them without any regard for international laws. Show me one single electronic device, one single manufacturing process, one single effective business practice that is originally Chinese. What have the Chinese given the West that improved on anything. They import European, Canadian and American engineers to train their "experts" at everything - EVERYTHING - because simple ideas, concepts, they simply can't materialize. Pretty much same thing goes for South Korea and Taiwan, but at least they invest in R&D and they perfected manufacturing processes. Japan, of course, is king.

I'll take a durable plastic cover over a phone that shatters when dropped. Plastic may be cheap, but that doesn't always make it bad. I used to race motocross when I was a kid, and they had just made the transition from metal tanks to plastic tanks. The plastic tanks where lighter and FAR more durable. The metals ones dented and leaked, the plastic ones where nearly indestructible.

CDdude55

Distinguished
Even when Steve Jobs was alive they were still cranking out pratically the same product every month. I haven't seen Apple innovate since the first IPod and some would probably argue they haven't innvoated not since the Macintosh in 1984.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i read that title and thought it was the stupidest thing i ever read in my life that was professional.
congrats, that title may have been stupid but the article takes the cake...

really, i only click on the links for apple things half the time just to turn them purple so i dont have to keep thinking "hay, something new" but things like this just make be want to get some kind of word filter for this site and hide everything apple...

thats actually a good idea... anyone know of something like that? i want to filter "steve jobs" "sue" "apple" "iphone" "ipad" and "ipod" so any links with those do not show up for me.

G

otacon72 01/12/2013 3:52 AM
Hide
-0+

If he had had slammed Apple instead of Samsung people in here would be congratulating him. Bunch of hypocrites.

You are a dumb and stubborn one. If someone enters the room and says 1+1=3 then people will bash him. If that person same person comes in the room and says 1+1=2, of course people will accept him. Hypocrisy has nothing to do with this. You are one of the most hateful apple trolls I have seen on tech sites. You and eric, are the worse.

G

vaughn2k 01/12/2013 3:55 AM
Hide
-0+

who wants a "phablet" by the way? 6in??? I'll pass...

Then pass and millions will buy! That is what is cool with android...so many sizes...colors...shapes...different tech from phone to phone...so many choices for us consumers.

apple on the other hand tells you what to buy and offers the same bland products with no choice

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]balister[/nom]People need to learn, Steve Jobs was not an innovator over the last 10 years, he's been an iterator. What Jobs did was take ideas for other people that were seperated across multiple products and instead combined all those ideas into a single product.[/citation]
This is correct.
Jobs took open source software (legally) and locked it down hard. Nobody had more contempt for his customers than Steve Jobs. He was not an innovator

InvalidError

Titan
There would be many more visionaries if people who do have great/revolutionary ideas did not run into so many roadblocks, red tape, ridicule, disbelief, etc. trying to achieve anything with them.

One simple reminder of this is how the MPAA/RIAA are still in denial about how broken their traditional business practices are after over a decade worth of increasingly less successful litigation. Most of the "powers that be" want to resist change, they do not want to risk having to reinvent their business model.

[citation][nom]Octocon72[/nom]otacon72 01/12/2013 3:52 AMHide-0+If he had had slammed Apple instead of Samsung people in here would be congratulating him. Bunch of hypocrites.You are a dumb and stubborn one. If someone enters the room and says 1+1=3 then people will bash him. If that person same person comes in the room and says 1+1=2, of course people will accept him. Hypocrisy has nothing to do with this. You are one of the most hateful apple trolls I have seen on tech sites. You and eric, are the worse.[/citation]

If you're going to complain, you could at least not copy the username of the member whom you're complaining about.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]Shin-san[/nom]I don't feel that Steve Jobs was solely responsible for innovation. However, it takes talent to be able to find the best ideas out of your employees and to get it to the business suits so that they make it to market.[/citation]
This. Jobs had talent, whatever anyone here says, but he was no tech god some cultists believe him to have been. Tablet is an old concept, and the concept of the moden smartphone, it's propably been on many minds, but for example Nokia had it already in the mid 90's ( why they took so long to execute on it, is anybodys guess ).

What Apple does pretty well, is not making up new features, or implementing a lot of the existing ones, but making the ones they have relatively user friendly. There is some real innovation there too though, like their SoC-designs.

Huawei, I have never used their product, don't even remember seeing one (live), can't really comment based on that.

richarduk

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
I have always found Huawei phones to have the best implementations of Android.

He's is correct, how ever you feel about Apple and Jobs, they created the smart phone market. Without him things are a little bland. I had hoped for Windows Phone 8 to push the market forward but that is a car crash of an OS. Maybe Ubuntu Phone will prompt more innovation.

Status
Not open for further replies.