News Huawei Equipment Hit With $1 Billion 'Rip and Replace' Bill

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Even though I'd rather not see the Chinese telco equipment used for US Government or military communications, I don't see the urgency of ripping it out from rural networks. It seems to me that the risk is low, and I'm sure there are better ways to spend $1B.

Mar 2, 2020
Even though I'd rather not see the Chinese telco equipment used for US Government or military communications, I don't see the urgency of ripping it out from rural networks. It seems to me that the risk is low, and I'm sure there are better ways to spend $1B.

Do YOU live in rural America? I DO!

There is one Internet provider for me and NO competition! This one provider- Windstream- is currently in bankruptcy. Service is dicey and much more expensive than in cities and suburban America where there is competition. Where I live, there is no choice. I betcha they have cut corners by purchasing these cheaper Chinese products.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
There is one Internet provider for me and NO competition! This one provider- Windstream- is currently in bankruptcy. Service is dicey and much more expensive than in cities and suburban America where there is competition. Where I live, there is no choice. I betcha they have cut corners by purchasing these cheaper Chinese products.
I'm not sure we're in disagreement, actually.

I'd rather see $1B go towards adding new equipment, for instance, rather than just replacing functioning equipment that's already deployed and doing its job.