[SOLVED] Huawei HG8546M ethernet issue

jawlesspython04

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
So I recently upgraded from DSL to Optic Fiber. The internet speed and low latency while gaming has been a nice experience but I am not able to fully utilize it as I have been forced to play on WiFi. The thing is, the ethernet ports on my Huawei HG8546M don't seem to work. It gets stuck on Identifying Network and does not give me a connection.

Initially, I thought my cable was bad so I tried connecting it to my other 2 (TP-Link) routers in my house. (One is the old DSL router and one is a Wireless Extender for the optic fiber.) Both of them worked so now I am certain that something is up with the router. Anyone had this issue before? Help will be appreciated.

Solution
Which router is responsible for assigning DHCP IP addresses to network devices?

Only one router should be doing so. The DHCP IP addressing function should be disabled on all other routers.

If the Huawei router is now the main router then it should be assigning DHCP addresses and managing the Static IP address for the old DSL router and the Wireless Extender. Both of those TP-Link devices should have DHCP disabled/Off.

And the Huawei should likewise manage any other static IP devices on the network: printer, NAS, etc.

Connectivity (network line diagram):

ISP === fiber ====> Modem -------Ethernet Cable ----> [WAN Port] Hauwei HG8546M[ LAN ports] ---- Ethernet cables to ----> wired devices and ~~ wireless >...

Ralston18

Titan

Only one router should be doing so. The DHCP IP addressing function should be disabled on all other routers.

If the Huawei router is now the main router then it should be assigning DHCP addresses and managing the Static IP address for the old DSL router and the Wireless Extender. Both of those TP-Link devices should have DHCP disabled/Off.

And the Huawei should likewise manage any other static IP devices on the network: printer, NAS, etc.

ISP === fiber ====> Modem -------Ethernet Cable ----> [WAN Port] Hauwei HG8546M[ LAN ports] ---- Ethernet cables to ----> wired devices and ~~ wireless > wireless devices. Including the old DSL router and Wireless extender.

Edit and correct my line diagram as necessary.

How have you configured the Huawei and other devices?

Physical connectivity (as applicable) assigned IP addressess, subnet masks, and so forth?

Solution

jawlesspython04

Distinguished
May 25, 2014

ISP === fiber ====> Modem -------Ethernet Cable ----> [WAN Port] Hauwei HG8546M[ LAN ports] ---- Ethernet cables to ----> wired devices and ~~ wireless > wireless devices. Including the old DSL router and Wireless extender.

Edit and correct my line diagram as necessary.

How have you configured the Huawei and other devices?

Physical connectivity (as applicable) assigned IP addressess, subnet masks, and so forth?

Thanks for the reply. I checked the config and tried what you said. However it didn't seem to work. I just got my router replaced with a new one, and it works now. I don't really know what the problem was.