News Huawei officially opens its 2,600-acre R&D center in Shanghai, will accommodate over 35,000 scientists and engineers

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Shanghai is a big city. I'll bet they're going to lose some employees who don't want to commute to the new location. Some of the rest will have to move, in order to have a livable commute.

My company once had an office in Shanghai, but couldn't renew the lease on that office. The next most suitable location would've had many of our employees commuting 2 hours each way, I'm told. So few employees were willing or able to do such a commute that they opted to terminate the Shanghai operation instead. TBH, that was probably also influenced by the political climate of the time.

Jul 14, 2024
Interesting article. The campus area number needs some correction though. The "Chinese Acre" (mu) is not the same as an imperial acre. One hectare = 15 mu = 666.67 sq. m. The original Chinese article headline states 2400 mu campus, whereas it also quoted Ren Zhengfei saying 2600 mu. Anyway, 2600 mu should be 428 Imperial Acres.

Ken Lek

Commendable
Nov 12, 2021
Shanghai is a big city. I'll bet they're going to lose some employees who don't want to commute to the new location. Some of the rest will have to move, in order to have a livable commute.

My company once had an office in Shanghai, but couldn't renew the lease on that office. The next most suitable location would've had many of our employees commuting 2 hours each way, I'm told. So few employees were willing or able to do such a commute that they opted to terminate the Shanghai operation instead. TBH, that was probably also influenced by the political climate of the time.
Huawei will build a company town around it's labs. It will work with property developers (who are in desperate times today) to provide cheap or subsidized housing for many of it's employees. Some will be free, some subsidized (sale or rental), some at a low markup.
Residents in town/campus will enjoy company gyms, send their kids to company sponsored creches and schools, visit affiliated hospitals if sick, and enjoy the scenic landscape in their free time. Huawei is prestigious and respected in China. Many staff will choose to live in this campus, for convenience, price, or just to be in a community custom tailored for geeks.

Last edited: