Sep 30, 2019
I'm in the process of buying a new phone and have so far narrowed my selection to last years Huawei Mate 20 pro and this years Huawei P30 (not the pro version). As they are both excellent phones, i am having trouble deciding which one to get and would really appreciate any advice or discussion. Bear in mind that both are the same price currently where i plan on buying it (Slovenia, Europe) and i don't find the US (Google/Android) ban a big factor in my decision. Thanks.

Solution
I'm in the process of buying a new phone and have so far narrowed my selection to last years Huawei Mate 20 pro and this years Huawei P30 (not the pro version). As they are both excellent phones, i am having trouble deciding which one to get and would really appreciate any advice or discussion. Bear in mind that both are the same price currently where i plan on buying it (Slovenia, Europe) and i don't find the US (Google/Android) ban a big factor in my decision. Thanks.
You should find it a big factor because it’ll still affect you. If they can’t use the play store in America they can’t in Europe.

I wouldn’t buy a Huawei phone they still are very suspect in terms of privacy, look at the Samsung S10e, Pixel 3 on android. And the...
You should find it a big factor because it’ll still affect you. If they can’t use the play store in America they can’t in Europe.

I wouldn’t buy a Huawei phone they still are very suspect in terms of privacy, look at the Samsung S10e, Pixel 3 on android. And the iPhone XR on iOS.

Reactions: Moxem
Solution
Sep 30, 2019

I wouldn’t buy a Huawei phone they still are very suspect in terms of privacy, look at the Samsung S10e, Pixel 3 on android. And the iPhone XR on iOS.

So far, all the Huawei phone owners i know have had no problems with any google apps or android. Updates still roll in fast and many have suggested i look into Huawei for my next phone. I read somewhere that the existing Huawei devices will not suffer from the US ban, but there will be major differences in the new ones. Is that true? If so, is it safe to proceed with the purchase, since both of my selected phones aren't lacking anything in the android/google department?

So far, all the Huawei phone owners i know have had no problems with any google apps or android. Updates still roll in fast and many have suggested i look into Huawei for my next phone. I read somewhere that the existing Huawei devices will not suffer from the US ban, but there will be major differences in the new ones. Is that true? If so, is it safe to proceed with the purchase, since both of my selected phones aren't lacking anything in the android/google department?
Because it keeps getting a stay in the US and Huawei updates aren't fast. You won't be getting android 10 and Huawei aren't on googles fast track thing anymore so they'll have to wait for new features to become open source a good while after everyone else. Overall they're still not worth the risk and I'd take a Samsung or pixel over one any day. But I'm an iPhone guy so I'll just say the XR is better than pretty much any android phone from a performance and lifespan standpoint. Cheaper now too.

Because it keeps getting a stay in the US and Huawei updates aren't fast. You won't be getting android 10 and Huawei aren't on googles fast track thing anymore so they'll have to wait for new features to become open source a good while after everyone else. Overall they're still not worth the risk and I'd take a Samsung or pixel over one any day. But I'm an iPhone guy so I'll just say the XR is better than pretty much any android phone from a performance and lifespan standpoint. Cheaper now too.

Gosh, whilst I'm all for being informative and having an opinion and all, for me, you are getting far to ahead of yourself, and almost scaremongering. Whilst I'm apolitical, and don't want to go off topic, the current status with Huawei and the US, is solely to do with the US/China Trade war. Huawei are in the crossfire for various reasons. Right now they have a reprieve of sorts. Once the US/China trade issues are resolved, it's expected these issue will be a thing of the past, and Huawei will continue to enjoy Googles support for now and the near future.

If on the other hand the Trade issue continues, it might be an idea to hold off, until a deal is struck (which inevitably it will be), either under the current US administration or another.

In the meantime for the OP to choose either phone, they would be good, and for the price they go for now, are exceptional value.

On a side-note, I'd disagree strongly about any iPhone being a better phone than the Android experience. Different horses for different courses, as the old adage goes :) One could argue this way or that about technical things like, SOC/CPU/GPU etc. And the experience itself of iOS v Android is of course completely subjective. No flame wars here ;):p(y)

Reactions: Moxem
Gosh, whilst I'm all for being informative and having an opinion and all, for me, you are getting far to ahead of yourself, and almost scaremongering. Whilst I'm apolitical, and don't want to go off topic, the current status with Huawei and the US, is solely to do with the US/China Trade war. Huawei are in the crossfire for various reasons. Right now they have a reprieve of sorts. Once the US/China trade issues are resolved, it's expected these issue will be a thing of the past, and Huawei will continue to enjoy Googles support for now and the near future.

If on the other hand the Trade issue continues, it might be an idea to hold off, until a deal is struck (which inevitably it will be), either under the current US administration or another.

In the meantime for the OP to choose either phone, they would be good, and for the price they go for now, are exceptional value.

On a side-note, I'd disagree strongly about any iPhone being a better phone than the Android experience. Different horses for different courses, as the old adage goes :) One could argue this way or that about technical things like, SOC/CPU/GPU etc. And the experience itself of iOS v Android is of course completely subjective. No flame wars here ;):p(y)
Apart from they’re already working on their OS, new phones have the Huawei store not the play store.

I said the XR is better from a performance and lifespan standpoint. That is objective fact. You can disagree but that would make you wrong.

Apart from they’re already working on their OS, new phones have the Huawei store not the play store.

Ah, c'mon, that's just a smoke screen. Huawei are hoping beyond all hope that will throw the scent off. Once the trade deal is done, it will all go away. You are right though, if indeed it did pan out that there was no deal, and things (with the current administration) stayed the same, then yes, that would be problematic. But all signs point to a deal, eventually!

I did agree with you about the Bionic CPU/GPU's being better. But that doesn't translate to other things necessarily, such as UI experience, closed OS v open OS, 5G connectivity, camera's etc. Like I said different horses for different courses.

Just because you super like iPhones, doesn't mean everyone else must too!

Ah, c'mon, that's just a smoke screen. Huawei are hoping beyond all hope that will throw the scent off. Once the trade deal is done, it will all go away. You are right though, if indeed it did pan out that there was no deal, and things (with the current administration) stayed the same, then yes, that would be problematic. But all signs point to a deal, eventually!

I did agree with you about the Bionic CPU/GPU's being better. But that doesn't translate to other things necessarily, such as UI experience, closed OS v open OS, 5G connectivity, camera's etc. Like I said different horses for different courses.

Just because you super like iPhones, doesn't mean everyone else must too!
The UI I would argue is better on iOS as it is vanilla by design and pretty much every android custom UI used by companies as default is worse than the default. Unless you root an android phone you're not really getting an open OS you're getting updates from the manufacturer. 5G is only on specific models that cost a fortune and isn't widespread enough to be a valid reason to buy, especially when everywhere you can get it is wifi hotspotted up to the eyeballs. Apple was sensible in avoiding getting it at launch and leaving it to mature. And as far as cameras go if you're not getting a Pixel 3 the iPhone is par or better. And it destroys every android phone on the market in video.

TRENDING THREADS