News Huawei-Powered Desktop PC Tested, Eight-Core 7nm Kunpeng 920 Processor, PCIe 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Lol 8 desktop 7nm cores that perform worse than most phones, in a 1000 pc. Nice.
Get your lulz in now, because they might turn into cries in 5-10 years. Obviously, they have to start somewhere.

I think this PC is probably aimed at developers (who specifically want to develop for the platform) and government offices. For them, it doesn't need to be performance-competitive - just usably fast.

Reactions: artk2219

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
200w PSU with an RX550.

The CPU must be pretty efficient, i'd guess well under a 95w tdp.
RX550 is a 50W card.

The CPU is running 8x cores @ 2.6 GHz that are designed for a 64-core, 195 W server chip (also @ 2.6 GHz). So, probably around 35 W (if we factor in some extra for things like I/O & memory channels that weren't scaled down by 1/8th). If you're wondering where I got that, see the wikichip link I posted, above.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
What bothers me is Japan , where is Japan in all of this ?
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/japanese-arm-based-supercomputer-fugaku-is-now-world-most-powerful

Also, ARM is owned by Softbank, a Japanese private equity firm.

as well as Germany ,
I think I read the Europeans are focusing more on RISC V, but I haven't been following it. I know they have plans to develop an alternate HPC supply chain that avoids dependence on the US.

it seems defeated countries of WW2 are still under heavy restrictions.
Huh? What kind of restrictions are you even talking about and where did you get such ideas?

Apr 10, 2020
People are not aware but 90% tech is coming from china. Only hi perf devices like phones, PC and server is using western CPUs. For now. Everything else is based on China Mediatek or similar Chinees CPUs (microcontrollers).
So, lets compare China 20 years ago and today... West greed for money is coming to an end. BTW China saved west during COVID cause masks, etc all these is produced in China. Nothing on the west!

Dsplover

Prominent
Feb 23, 2020
A China-based YouTube channel tested one of the first Huawei-powered desktop PCs.

Huawei-Powered Desktop PC Tested, Eight-Core 7nm Kunpeng 920 Processor, PCIe 4.0 : Read more

I got 300 for a desktop/surfing PC. 1000 bucks and I can make 2 x PCs. In 5 more years they’ll have a good CPU in a desktop but we’ll have 5GHz Octo core 5nm chips.
CCP will make it illegal for Chinese customers to buy foreign CPUs by then.
And nobody outside China wants a dog that won’t hunt.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
People are not aware but 90% tech is coming from china. Only hi perf devices like phones, PC and server is using western CPUs. For now. Everything else is based on China Mediatek or similar Chinees CPUs (microcontrollers).
So, lets compare China 20 years ago and today... West greed for money is coming to an end. BTW China saved west during COVID cause masks, etc all these is produced in China. Nothing on the west!

It is not the tech , it is the manufacturing .. most Chinese products are licences from the west.

Antikapitalista

Reputable
Sep 22, 2015
It is not the tech , it is the manufacturing .. most Chinese products are licences from the west.
It is the technology. The Chinese already know how to produce them. The licences are irrelevant. It they are withdrawn, the worst that could happen is that they could be banned from "the Western markets". Who cares? The Westerners are mere indebted consumers who are living and shopping on debt and who could not buy them if the producer had not extended them their credit lines...

And if the Westerners ban them, so much worse for the Westerners. Oh, have you noticed that quite a few of the graduates of U.S. universities have "slanted eyes"?
Thus, it is not like the technology is home-brewed in the U.S.A., either. It is also imported with the brightest minds that come from abroad, from a culture that is significantly different from that of the U.S.A.

castl3bravo

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2013
I'd agree with comments saying corporate greed led us to this point. I'd add that the only reason trade barriers are being erected are because there are no easy profits left. China has normalized itself with western tech.

Time to get some🍿 to see where the Chinese ARM CPU takes us 😆

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Not sure what the drama here is.

HiSilicon does not have a 7nm node, and this chip is just another low performing ARM derivative intended for server markets, in a series of low performing ARM chips from the same vendor.

The chip was being made for them by TSMC on a 7nm node by most reports. Previous chips in this line were on TSMC 16nm.

They will not be able to get more 7nm chips and the best node that China has is a new "14nm" (equivalent to Intel 22nm) node that just started up and has a capacity of ~6500 chips per month.

So lets not get HiSilicon (China) mixed up with TSMC (Taiwan) and ARM (Britain).

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Not sure what the drama here is.

HiSilicon does not have a 7nm node, and this chip is just another low performing ARM derivative intended for server markets, in a series of low performing ARM chips from the same vendor.
I agree with keeping it in proportion. It's indeed a milestone, but an early one on a long road. That's how it should be seen.

Also, ARM is really upping its game, lately. Now that they've bifurcated their cores into separate efficiency-oriented and performance-oriented lines, they're finally ready to mount a proper assault on the PC market. We should expect to see big things from them & their partners, in the next few years.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15813/arm-cortex-a78-cortex-x1-cpu-ip-diverging

Status
Not open for further replies.