Huawei Promises to Deliver Phone to Best Apple, Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Build quality has to be ROCK SOLID. Camera has to be fantastic. Upgrade support has to be there for at least a year of current Android/WP operating system versions. Battery life has to be excellent, and screen quality/resolution needs to be top notch... Finally, the price has to be great... Free under contract, and under 300 with pre-paid.

It will take at least 2 premium attempts at the smartphone, more likely 3, to get this to work...

wavetrex

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Don't underestimate Huawei, all their products I've seen so far are good quality, functional, problem free.

My country's internet for example is powered 90% by their networking products, and it works very well.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
To fit into the best it'll need the following:
- 4.7" Display or larger (to a limit of 5.5" for me)
- At least 16GB MINIMUM built in
- Storage Expansion capabilities
- 720p display, or 1080p
- 2GB of RAM for futureproofing
- Qualcomm S4 Pro or Exynos Cortex A-15 or Nvidia Tegra Wayne (Tegra 4)
- Durable for the class of device it is (able to take a few harsh bumps away from the display
- Huge battery, at LEAST 2600mAh
- Fantastic camera at LEAST on par with the S3's but with much better low-light sensitivity
- A DECENT BLOODY MICROPHONE WHILE RECORDING WITHOUT DISTORTION
- Decently loud un-tinny sounding loud speaker
- Clear, Loud ear speaker
- Light Sensor and decent front camera (most are decent though)
- Removable Battery
- International 4G Support

And last but not least..
- Stock Android Experience with no bloatware.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Huawei is a large company with 150,000 employees, and $32 billion in revenue last year. I wonder if they'll be allowed into the US market though..

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
[citation][nom]wavetrex[/nom]Don't underestimate Huawei, all their products I've seen so far are good quality, functional, problem free.My country's internet for example is powered 90% by their networking products, and it works very well.[/citation]

Don't you mean counterfeit Cisco Hardware and Software with Huawei branded on it? :p

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
[citation][nom]icemunk[/nom]Huawei is a large company with 150,000 employees, and $32 billion in revenue last year. I wonder if they'll be allowed into the US market though..[/citation]

Both ZTE and Huawei have very close ties to the Chinese Government and a few months ago there was a report out there saying they programmed backdoors and other malicious "features" into their smartphones and networking hardware. Not saying it is true but who knows...

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
This isn't much of a surprise. It's only a matter of time before a Chinese company beats out Samsung and Apple in terms of hardware. They have the factories, cheap labor, and MANY other places to cut costs of manufacturing a smartphone.

Read an article not too long ago that stated Foxconn workers make an average of 5-8$ per ipad assembly. While it would cost 25-30$ for a Korean worker and 38-40$ for an American worker. That is already 20-30$ saved in labor costs they can use to add in any type of hardware from RAM, better CPU, screens, etc.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
If that's what they're saying then they're already going to fail. Besting Apple has nothing to do with hardware specifications.

And please stop using the term "phablet." It's too similar to fapping...

faust_67

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
@ hate machine Do you really think that US, Japonese, European companies don't put "malicious features" in their products? Actually there is no need for that, everybody puts all the information the goverment needs on facebook or twitter. Look how easy it was for the FBI to get access to general Petraeus email.

kensingtron

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
[citation][nom]teh_chem[/nom]If that's what they're saying then they're already going to fail. Besting Apple has nothing to do with hardware specifications. And please stop using the term "phablet." It's too similar to fapping...[/citation]

Isn't fapping why its called a phablet

twelve25

Distinguished
The only way I am using a 6" phone is if they can get the foldable LCD tech out there. I saw a guy using one of the big Samsungs on the train and it looked like he had a Kindle fire on his face.

normal style phone that folds out to 6" tablet would be killer. The modern clamshell phone if you will. But I would want to be able to use the phone without unfolding it to tablet size.

vkg1

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Just because they have larger screens and come from country where labor is cheaper than in West does not mean they will be "More Samsung than Samsung".

Samsung will be the perfect balance between the Chinese stuff and the American stuff. It will be like how modern Hyundai's are better than both German cars and Chinese cars.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
They already make good phones for the mid sector, which SHOULD dominate due to price, however there is Zero availabilty of the good huawei phones in the UK, and the US just slammed the door in their face.

That and Chinese prefer fashionable brands if they can afford it, and if not, there are much cheaper brands in China beside Huawei.

Their real challenge is marketting past the stigmatism and getting into foreign markets with a big push, not pipedream 6" monstrosities.

suoeno

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Dear Mr. Shao Yang,

So far imo your R&D people are doing their job just fine. It's YOUR dept however are severely slacking. Get your phones out and on time to SEA region namely first before you even talk about throwing a fast one to Apple and Samsung.

Sincerely,
/i9100g user
kthxbai

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]Vorador2[/nom]What the hell. A 6.1 inch phone? How the hell you can hold it to your ear without looking like an enormous douche?[/citation] I was a Dell Streak user. I am ready for this.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]To fit into the best it'll need the following:- 4.7" Display or larger (to a limit of 5.5" for me)- At least 16GB MINIMUM built in- Storage Expansion capabilities- 720p display, or 1080p- 2GB of RAM for futureproofing- Qualcomm S4 Pro or Exynos Cortex A-15 or Nvidia Tegra Wayne (Tegra 4)- Durable for the class of device it is (able to take a few harsh bumps away from the display- Huge battery, at LEAST 2600mAh- Fantastic camera at LEAST on par with the S3's but with much better low-light sensitivity- A DECENT BLOODY MICROPHONE WHILE RECORDING WITHOUT DISTORTION- Decently loud un-tinny sounding loud speaker- Clear, Loud ear speaker- Light Sensor and decent front camera (most are decent though)- Removable Battery- International 4G SupportAnd last but not least..- Stock Android Experience with no bloatware.[/citation]

There's nothing special you have listed to make customers choose that over the next Samsung Galaxy, Note or iPhone on mass, unless that is being sold at a loss (subsidized cost) and they basically undercut the market in pricing significantly. Otherwise Huawei will go nowhere outside of China.

Status
Not open for further replies.