News Huawei Rumored to Use SMIC's Nodes, Overcome U.S ban and Produce 5G Smartphones

We will definitely need to see scanning electron microscope proof that SMIC’s N+1 is a 7nm class node. And if it is really 7nm class then I wonder how many pattern passes they needed to acquire the resolution needed using DUV lithography. Also is this the same SMIC 7nm process that TSMC claims SMIC illegally copied?

Reactions: gg83 and bit_user

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
My main question is what kind of cores they'll use. Will they get cores from ARM China (which I assume is still operating as an independent entity?)? Or, will they make the jump to RISC-V? And, if so, whose?

My guess is ARM, just because using a 7 nm-class node will already put them at enough disadvantage. I think there aren't yet RISC-V cores on the market that can compete with the best ARM cores available at 7 nm. Plus, switching to RISC-V would just compound the amount of software work they'd have to do.

Reactions: gg83

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
Like I've said in other posts, with enough AI/ machine-assisted chip and process node design horsepower China will definitely be able to circumvent trade/patent restrictions.