Question Hubble telescope brings you an unusual graphics card challenge

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
On one of my astronomy discussion groups one of the participants complained about the lengthy time it takes to open the 1.2 gig Hubble telescope tiff file that you will find here:

https://hubblesite.org/image/4492/news

(The "Hubble legacy deep field" if you prefer to google)

So I gave it a try on my new build (ASUS prime 470 pro mobo, AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, 32 gigs DDR 4 3200) and, just counting 1,001, 1,002, etc. for the timing, I got

22 seconds to open with R9 380 graphics card
11 seconds to open with Asus Radeon 580.

I would be interested if people were to post some result with whatever they happen to be using. My impression, given the kinds of cpus and graphic cards out there, that some people must be able to open the file in a second or two.

I haven't had time to try it on my upstairs build which is considerably more antiquated. I expect it would take a minute or two. I have heard that RAM and GPU make a difference for static image processing but this is really the first time I've had a demo in front of my nose.

I will tell you that you can zoom in pretty far into this picture to the point that you sort of lose your orientation relative to where you started. Scientifically, the most interesting objects are the ones you might not notice at all, at first. Well you zoom in you will see red dots of two or three pixels those are red-shifted and at great distance. But if you look around you'll see little very faint red pixels that barely stand out. Those are the objects that are furthest in distance and furthest back in time and are at the limits of what we currently can detect. It's possible to go a bit further (out, and back in time) but you really need a scope optimized in infrared because the red shift is so pronounced.

Well that's it I hope y'all enjoy it. Maybe you have some other interesting tiffs.

Greg N