Huge 145-inch Plasma Display is 1mm Thick

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grims

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Think not entertainment applications guys. Maybe work as an information wall, something to show you weather news, stocks in a smart home, or the ceiling above your bed. Build this into a coffee table with a touch screen......there are many applications beyond HD movie watching.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
this will be a complete waste in most markets due to projector cost efficiency and size to power ratio. however i could see this being used in some commercial applications. 1mm thick is impressive, but it still weighs about 3 times more than any projector capable of the same or better picture.

mavroxur

Distinguished
[citation][nom]audioee[/nom]I would like to see a graphic of how the pixels are setup[/citation]

145" @ 720p resolution, i'm gonna say it looks like the picture is made up of a bunch red, blue, and green Legos.

G

800W is more than 20x the power that a computer LCD screen uses.
It'll never really break through, since Europe banned the sales of plasma, in favor of the much more energy efficient LCD.

Especially a screen that has 4x the power requirements of a true 720p plasma TV.

As for the resolution, it is not fully 720p, because that would be 1280x720. The resolution of this TV is somewhere between DVD (720x576), 480p (852x480), and 720p.

G

800W is more than 20x the power that a computer LCD screen uses.
It'll never really break through, since Europe banned the sales of plasma, in favor of the much more energy efficient LCD.

Especially a screen that has 4x the power requirements of a true 720p plasma TV.

As for the resolution, it is not fully 720p, because that would be 1280x720. The resolution of this TV is somewhere between DVD (720x576), 480p (852x480), and 720p.

G

[citation][nom]Zenthar[/nom]... I mean, 720p on 145" is barely better than SDTV (480i) on a 60" TV was.[/citation]

Well why not? Most of us SURE BOUGHT A LCD monitor that had less resolution, worst colors, bigger delay, bigger pitch...

smalltime0

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
[citation][nom]orangegator[/nom]Ok Yoda. Scientific analysis. The TV is in a room. The tv uses 800W, some output as heat, light sound (most is heat energy). The light and sound are absorbed by objects in the room. When absorbed, they are converted to thermal energy. Happy now?[/citation]
Thats not how heat output of a device is calculated... even then its not a 1:1 ratio of absorbtion for light and sound.

And even then thats probably the numbers for the prototypes, market ready displays would be better.

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
People these days just don't concentrate on important aspects. Who cares whether your TV is 1mm thick or 1 inch thick? You're just going to watch the screen.

G

Guys its the thickness thats amazing, 1mm... cmon, if thats true, we could be entering the age of some really cool tvs. This is just the first one, be amazed that it works, This could be a viable alternative to hooking up a 200 pound projector over your head thats mounted to your wall.

Plus, 16 lbs, you and a friend could carry 20 of these up a stair case at the same time.

I wouldn't buy it, but Id definitely keep an eye on the technology!

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Wake me up when they do it with OLEDs instead of Plasma. THEN we'll talk.

i honestly think plasma is going to be short lived once OLED technology matures. Then we have the potential for contrast and color rivaling or even beating CRT displays, and still have it in a flexible package that can be wrapped around a cylinder.
For now, I'll settle for using a projector with a black-and-white image to backlight a traditional IPS panel. I've seen it done, and the results are beyond spectacular, although you have to look at it head-on or else the two image sources appear out of alignment.

D2ModPlayer

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
If this tech is refined enough we can fold it up and put it in our briefcase. Just think of how great that would be if they could make it under 10 pounds! Great for work presentations, talk about wowing a crowd. "Yes, I have this big 140 inch TV in my briefcase, hold on a minute, yes there we go."

Status
Not open for further replies.