Huge 145-inch Plasma Display is 1mm Thick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Nice technological achievement, especially for the thickness, but for the common user, even one with lots of money, I have trouble seeing any interest. I mean, 720p on 145" is barely better than SDTV (480i) on a 60" TV was. Moreover, you can probably get a 1080p projector + screen for ~5000-7500$ and it would take less space in the living room; it's still lots of money, but I'm sure the 145" LCD will cost at least twice that much.

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Zenthar, i very much agree with you, but i think its destiny in application would be for advertising on large pillars or non-square surfaces in public places.
This seems similar to the outdoor electronic displays that are visible from freeways and could be a replacement or an adaptation of that for public places of business and recreation.

ViPr

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
the screen picture is washed-out, you can see the mini-screen division lines and the resolution is pathetic. only stupid people will buy this. maybe they have some innovation of worth in their TV but then they should team up with another company to combine their technologies together to come up with something that is actually good.

G

Lol 720p ain't bad some of you guys must be young HD snobs, guess you never had to live with CRT's. The POINT is the TECHNOLOGY. That's awesome for 1mm thick!

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
the problem isnt 720p, its the fact that the sceeen is so big but the resolution is so small. it would be like 800x600 res on a 24" monitor

smalltime0

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
[citation][nom]orangegator[/nom]Umm, 720p for a screen that big is not impressive. As for the heat, well it's 800-1200W duhhhh![/citation]
just ignore the fact that LIGHT and SOUND are coming off it in that no doubt scientific analysis you did.

D2ModPlayer

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I agree it's amazing for 1mm thick. I also agree 720p on such a large display is pathetic indeed. But one thing we need to remember is that companies often put this kind of stuff on display to show they are technology leaders and to raise their stock shares and increase public awareness. If you remember 3DFX back in the 90's. They did similar things. They would put 4 or more cores on a graphics card with a very heavy and bulky modified case (if there was one) and tell us it takes a thousand watts but the 120fps was good.

This is pioneering technology. It may or may not take. The point is it can be done and it is cool. Now they need to work on reducing power consumption, increasing screen resolution, and helping us not see all those lines like we're watching animated blocks!

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I wouldn't buy it even if it cost only 200$.. Sorry but the lines major deal breaker. Hopefully they get things worked out a little better if they decide to go into mass production.

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Sadly, you can SEE the lines between the screens (minus points) and it's got a worse resolution than smaller screens (while looks even worse when it's so large), while being a power hog.

Nice idea guys, but poor execution. When you have a 145" single screen that supports 1080p (standard now), then we can talk.

Zenthar

Distinguished
I think silversurfernhs is right, we might be looking at this from the wrong point of view, home consumer might not be the target audience at all. The target might be for marketing purposes like advertising or trade shows (the fact that it can be divided into 6 pieces would support that). None of us would get excited with a "space-ready" 500MHz CPU, but it would a great improvement over the 20-25MHz CPUs space missions are currently using (excluding the laptops astronauts bring in space).

audioee

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
145" @ 1mm thick = SWEET!!!

I would like to see a graphic of how the pixels are setup. A verbal description only goes so far.

I don't see a use in the home for this particular version of the technology, but I could see using this as electronic signage or some other industrial application, i.e. advertising pillars.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
[citation][nom]smalltime0[/nom]just ignore the fact that LIGHT and SOUND are coming off it in that no doubt scientific analysis you did.[/citation]

Ok Yoda. Scientific analysis. The TV is in a room. The tv uses 800W, some output as heat, light sound (most is heat energy). The light and sound are absorbed by objects in the room. When absorbed, they are converted to thermal energy. Happy now?

Status
Not open for further replies.