Question Huge amount of ram usage is hidden from task manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
hi, my cpu i5-4670k, gpu - zotac 1050ti mini, mobo- gigabyte z87x-ud3h, bios version F10b, psu corsair cs650m , ram 4x4gb @1600 mhz, MX 500 500gb ssd, WD 1TB sata internal hdd, AHCI,windows10,
2 days ago i clean installed windows10 . All my games and windows in the ssd. When i'm playing call of duty warzone without opening up any other things beside afterburner and hwmonitor, total14 gb ram is used though task manager showing COD WZ only taking 6gb of ram, and the 2nd highest ram eater process only taking about 40mb of ram. Is it normal? If its an issue then how do i fix it? Thanks in advance.
View: https://i.imgur.com/diW1C3L.png

these stats were taken when i was not running any game or anything. does it mean i dont have any noticable memory leakage right? windows just using memory for it's compression technology and my memory is all good?

Last edited:

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
Is it actually RAM or is the Pagefile included in that?
Virtual memory VS Physical memory in Hwinfo64.
Is it actually RAM or is the Pagefile included in that?
Virtual memory VS Physical memory in Hwinfo64.
its ram for sure, my msi after burner shows real time ram usage onscreen of the game. also i verified that with hwmonitor and tak manager

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I don't know what has changed but Win 10 by default is using more RAM. Used to be 1.5-2 gigs sitting idle at desktop. Now it's minimum 2.5 gigs. Plus the cached size seems to have gotten a lot larger.

Just to be sure, I would check for virus, malware, check processes for anything unknown. Who knows how much memory bitcoinminer-malware etc use. I had one such miner a year ago. Had to run multiple virusscan programs and malwarebytes to find out what it was. Then I had to download something that targeted the miner specifically.

My suspicion is that it's just Windows being Windows.

Could try these https://thegeekpage.com/clear-all-type-of-cache-in-windows-10/
If all else fails, reboot. That could clear some things up. You might be surprised how many things get fixed by rebooting.

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
I don't know what has changed but Win 10 by default is using more RAM. Used to be 1.5-2 gigs sitting idle at desktop. Now it's minimum 2.5 gigs. Plus the cached size seems to have gotten a lot larger.

Just to be sure, I would check for virus, malware, check processes for anything unknown. Who knows how much memory bitcoinminer-malware etc use. I had one such miner a year ago. Had to run multiple virusscan programs and malwarebytes to find out what it was. Then I had to download something that targeted the miner specifically.

My suspicion is that it's just Windows being Windows.

Could try these https://thegeekpage.com/clear-all-type-of-cache-in-windows-10/
If all else fails, reboot. That could clear some things up. You might be surprised how many things get fixed by rebooting.
Thank u for replying, you said windows taking 2.5GB in idle, but of how much total ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.