[SOLVED] Huge Belkin Temp File Necessary?

Feb 2, 2021
Hello,
Hopefully this is posted in the right place, feel free to redirect me if this is better suited elsewhere. I have been having trouble with my C drive running out of disk space, and upon inspection, I have a file called WLANBelkinServiceRun in C:/Windows/Temp that is around 46 GB. It's a text file that I can't open because it's too big for notepad, and I have no clue what this file may be for, so I have a question in two parts:
  1. what is this file?
  2. is the file safe to delete, or is there a way to cap how large it becomes?

I assume the file is cycling the data being stored or else I would constantly get messages about low disk space, which I don't. Which makes me think that it's likely safe to delete, but it's in my Windows folder and the idea of deleting it makes me a bit nervous. Any insight would be helpful, or at least pointing me in the right direction of who to ask.
Thanks!

Solution
I agree that it's safe to delete that file. However, if it's currently in use then it may be locked and refuse to delete. Be aware that if it isn't locked, a file of that size may take some time to delete. Be aware too that the file is likely to return if you don't tackle its root cause.

what is this file?

It would appear to be something created by some Belkin wireless connection software. Whatever it does, it's not an essential piece of software so it'll be safe to uninstall. However, uninstalling may also remove your wireless adapter's drivers but reinstating them won't be difficult if you're reasonable experienced.

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
I agree that it's safe to delete that file. However, if it's currently in use then it may be locked and refuse to delete. Be aware that if it isn't locked, a file of that size may take some time to delete. Be aware too that the file is likely to return if you don't tackle its root cause.

what is this file?

It would appear to be something created by some Belkin wireless connection software. Whatever it does, it's not an essential piece of software so it'll be safe to uninstall. However, uninstalling may also remove your wireless adapter's drivers but reinstating them won't be difficult if you're reasonable experienced.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Task Manager.

You can also use Resource Monitor and Process Explorer to see what all is running on your system.

You may find some app or utility being launched at startup that is submitting log results (or other "data" ) to the Belkin file.

Do you have a Belkin router? Or (as suggested) anything "Belkin" for that matter?

Feb 2, 2021
I figured out the issue. I don't have a Belkin device or component, but I did many years ago and it seems that a remnant program from that had been filling up a .txt file for some reason. I was able to uninstall the program and delete the file. Thanks for the advice all!