Question Huge bottleneck caused by TP Link Powerline

fureniku

Honorable
Aug 11, 2018
Hi all,

Hoping for some advice on this. I recently moved into a new flat and it's the first place I've had the option of gigabit internet, and naturally, I wanted to seize that chance.

On WiFi next to the router (5GHz), or with my laptop plugged directly in over a USB Ethernet adapter, I get about 750mb. Not the full speed but plenty enough for me and I wont complain about it (the USB might bottleneck a bit, I don't have a direct port to check)

However, my main PC is in another room. I cant exactly drill through the walls in my rented flat to send a hardline, so I've gone with the powerline option. I actually already had some devices; AV600 (which should reach 600mb), but they were getting a measly 40. I decided to upgrade to the AV1000 as it was on sale anyway, but my PC is still only getting just over 100.

I figure there would be a bit of a loss over powerline, but I'd still expect to be hitting at least 5-600. Its a relatively new flat so the wiring itself should be fine.

Setup wise, I've got only the new AV1000's plugged in (all AV600 unplugged). I've got the cat6 ethernet cable that came with my router connecting to the powerline, and another brand new cat6 cable from the other end into my PC's 2.5Gb port. Both powerlines are direct into the wall, not on an extension or anything. PC motherboard itself is a MSI Tomahawk z490, it has 1.0Gb and 2.5Gb ports available but I figured bigger is better right?

Can anyone speculate what might be the bottleneck? It's almost like I've got a cat5 cable somewhere, but I've checked both and that's not the case. As I said I don't expect the full gigabit but I would like to make decent use of what I pay for, and ideally I want the stability of a wired connection.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all,

Hoping for some advice on this. I recently moved into a new flat and it's the first place I've had the option of gigabit internet, and naturally, I wanted to seize that chance.

On WiFi next to the router (5GHz), or with my laptop plugged directly in over a USB Ethernet adapter, I get about 750mb. Not the full speed but plenty enough for me and I wont complain about it (the USB might bottleneck a bit, I don't have a direct port to check)

However, my main PC is in another room. I cant exactly drill through the walls in my rented flat to send a hardline, so I've gone with the powerline option. I actually already had some devices; AV600 (which should reach 600mb), but they were getting a measly 40. I decided to upgrade to the AV1000 as it was on sale anyway, but my PC is still only getting just over 100.

I figure there would be a bit of a loss over powerline, but I'd still expect to be hitting at least 5-600. Its a relatively new flat so the wiring itself should be fine.

Setup wise, I've got only the new AV1000's plugged in (all AV600 unplugged). I've got the cat6 ethernet cable that came with my router connecting to the powerline, and another brand new cat6 cable from the other end into my PC's 2.5Gb port. Both powerlines are direct into the wall, not on an extension or anything. PC motherboard itself is a MSI Tomahawk z490, it has 1.0Gb and 2.5Gb ports available but I figured bigger is better right?

Can anyone speculate what might be the bottleneck? It's almost like I've got a cat5 cable somewhere, but I've checked both and that's not the case. As I said I don't expect the full gigabit but I would like to make decent use of what I pay for, and ideally I want the stability of a wired connection.
Those are typical speeds for powerline network. The "600" or "1000" are marketing. Just like the "5200" on an AX router. It doesn't happen in real world.
Your powerline is working as well as it can. You could try MoCA (coax) if you have it available. MoCA can run at gigabit speeds.

fureniku

Honorable
Aug 11, 2018
The "600" or "1000" are marketing.

It specifically says on the website and box that it handles data transfer rates up to 1000 Mbps though? Outright stating it can reach that speed if it cant wouldn't just be a marketing thing, it would be outright false advertising?

I've not heard of MoCA before, but I do have coax ports near the router and near the PC so I'll look into it, but I'd rather not have to fork out more when the device I bought should be able to handle it

kanewolf

Titan
It specifically says on the website and box that it handles data transfer rates up to 1000 Mbps though? Outright stating it can reach that speed if it cant wouldn't just be a marketing thing, it would be outright false advertising?

I've not heard of MoCA before, but I do have coax ports near the router and near the PC so I'll look into it, but I'd rather not have to fork out more when the device I bought should be able to handle it
They can say 1000Mbs because it has a gigabit ethernet port. They can also say that throughput is dependent on your household wiring which is why it says "UP TO 1000Mbps".
As long as it has the "up to" they are not false advertising. Plug two units in the the two outlets of a receptacle and you might get 1000Mbps. Anything with more wiring, the 100Mbps in real world is very much expected.