Question Huge Bottleneck [HELP PLS]

Dec 10, 2021
Hi guys i've recently noticed that i do a lot less fps than my gpu is capable of and even a friend of mine with a 2060 can do more than me , i've done everything to optimize the pc but nothing changed

CPU: i7 8700 (non k) (4.28 GHz, 6 Cores, 1 physical processor ,12 logic processors)
GPU: RTX 2080 OC ( 8GB VRAM) (lastest drivers)
RAM: 16GB single channel (2400Mhz)
SSD: ADATA SU630 500GB (with OS in it)
HHD: TOSHIBA HDWD110 1TB
PSU: Enermax Max Pro 2 600W
Motherboard: Msi H310M PRO-VD PLUS

PROBLEM1: Low GPU and CPU utilization in most newer games
PROBLEM2: Lagging a lot when downloading something on an external launcher: steam, origin , qbittorrent (slow browser opening, slow pc in general)
PROBLEM3: Getting LOW (60-80) FPS in games with bigger maps (Fortnite,Warzone,Battlefield, final fantasy, GTAV, FarCry 5-NewDawn)
( Note: Changing graphics settings doesn't lower/raise fps
( Note: Even the resolution doesn't matter
( Note: In normal sized maps the problem does not occur

Here are two images (two different games)

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS:
1. CPU bottleneck
2.Bad Motherboard
3.RAM bottleneck

i need help to find the real problem before spendin 600$ on new hardware , so pls tell me what's the problem

kanewolf

Titan
so i have to buy more ram? or change the cpu? sorry
im not that good in hardware troubleshooting
To make RAM dual channel, YES you have to buy RAM. You could buy two 8GB and keep your 16GB total. That would be the lowest cost option. You could also get 3200Mhz for higher performance.
Buying "another" 16GB DIMM is not recommended. It may or may not play well with the RAM you have.

Dec 10, 2021
To make RAM dual channel, YES you have to buy RAM. You could buy two 8GB and keep your 16GB total. That would be the lowest cost option. You could also get 3200Mhz for higher performance.
Buying "another" 16GB DIMM is not recommended. It may or may not play well with the RAM you have.
ok, but i heard that from 2400Mhz to 3200Mhz and single to dual channel changes about 10-20fps, and other said that the problem is the motherboard-cpu-ram combination so maybe some suggestion what to buy (mid-price) for motherboard and cpu?

most games are running 4-6 cores, theire fairly low threaded, to raise FPS on those games, increase CPU clock, or lower ram timings or switch to dual channel ram preferably dual rank rams
in some games turning of HT ((hyperthreading) boosts FPS aswell
also check if HVCI is turned off (bios setting for virtualisation turned off)
or type in cmd/powershell: bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

low GPU means CPU cant keep up, which also means you can increase graphic detils or resolution without loosing FPS (post procesing details only, some details are CPU bound aswell, so those will hurt FPS)
PROBLEM2: Lagging a lot when downloading something on an external launcher: steam, origin , qbittorrent (slow browser
opening, slow pc in general)
that could be incorrect bios setting or bad driver installed
run latencymon and check what it says during "lagging" and slow PC in general
DPC/ISR latency is driver related
hard pagefaults is windows swap (low ram) issue
PROBLEM3: Getting LOW (60-80) FPS in games with bigger maps (Fortnite,Warzone,Battlefield, final fantasy, GTAV, FarCry 5-NewDawn)
thats a CPU bottleneck
run some CPU benchmark and compare with other results if your CPU performs as expected, if itts running as expected, then RAM is your next bottleneck, as CPU cant compute without RAM...having multpile background apps running + gaming means low CPU performance as that ram latency is quite high in this case, so CPU just waits

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
ok, but i heard that from 2400Mhz to 3200Mhz and single to dual channel changes about 10-20fps, and other said that the problem is the motherboard-cpu-ram combination so maybe some suggestion what to buy (mid-price) for motherboard and cpu?
The H310 motherboard is not as capable as a Z390. Your power regulators for the CPU might be limiting performance. It is difficult to say that for sure. You don't have a "K" CPU, so overclocking is not possible, and the H310 motherboard is OK.
Your responses are expecting a magic bullet answer from the group. We have given a reasonable path forward. New dual channel RAM. Without taking that step and reevaluating, we are only guessing.

Hi guys i've recently noticed that i do a lot less fps than my gpu is capable of and even a friend of mine with a 2060 can do more than me , i've done everything to optimize the pc but nothing changed

CPU: i7 8700 (non k) (4.28 GHz, 6 Cores, 1 physical processor ,12 logic processors)
GPU: RTX 2080 OC ( 8GB VRAM) (lastest drivers)
RAM: 16GB single channel (2400Mhz)
SSD: ADATA SU630 500GB (with OS in it)
HHD: TOSHIBA HDWD110 1TB
PSU: Enermax Max Pro 2 600W
Motherboard: Msi H310M PRO-VD PLUS

PROBLEM2: Lagging a lot when downloading something on an external launcher: steam, origin , qbittorrent (slow browser opening, slow pc in general)

Here are two images (two different games)

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS:
1. CPU bottleneck
2.Bad Motherboard
3.RAM bottleneck

i need help to find the real problem before spendin 600$ on new hardware , so pls tell me what's the problem
Start here.
https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/msi-(micro-star)/h310m-pro-vdh-plus

Get a 2x8 or 2x16GB@3200 ballistic kit.
Which ever your budget allows.
That will plug one of the holes you have.