Huge CPU usage drops while gaming

Andrei123

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
Hi, I already posted this same topic in the CPUs forum, but it's been a day now and I still haven't had any answers, so I hoped maybe the Systems forum, which is more active, could give me some help . Anyway , on with the problem

Hi,

I've got a 5 y.o laptop , that SHOULD be able to play Minecraft. Which it is.
But everytime I play , I'm at around 100+FPS and suddenly drop for 2-3s at 0FPS, so after looking at my CPU's usage I saw that everytime those FPS spikes would happen, my CPU usage would go down as well.
Now my question is what can cause this ? Is it the thermal paste that is too old? Or is there an easy fix to this ?
By the by , Minecraft's settings were at the lowest possible and while running Optifine , on a superflat world.
And this isn't the only game that does that. There is Darksiders, Town of Salem which is a flash game that my PC should run without problem , Speedrunners and other not too demanding games.

Thanks in advance for your replies,
Andrei

EDIT:First things first, my processor is an AMD E2-3000M 2 core APU clocked at 1.8GHz
Second, I saw on a topic that I should run the AMD Overdrive stability test and see if my thermal margins are too close to 0°C.
I ran it for 15 minutes like the OP of that topic, and noticed , that none of the cores, even at 100% power usage, were running at 1.8GHz. Is that a cooling problem?
Finally, my thermal margins were around -10° C~ , does that also mean there is a cooling problem?

Thanks, once again, in advance for your replies,
Andrei

Solution

Ensure the CPU fan is spinning if it is then there is possibility of a loose fit of the CPU heatsink. Re seating the CPU heatsink with a good quality thermal paste applied to the CPU surface can fix your problem

whassup

Reputable
May 21, 2015

Ensure the CPU fan is spinning if it is then there is possibility of a loose fit of the CPU heatsink. Re seating the CPU heatsink with a good quality thermal paste applied to the CPU surface can fix your problem

Solution

Andrei123

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014

It is spinning, but maybe you're right and it is loose . Is there any written/video tutorial on how to open up a laptop, even if it isn't my laptop's model? That way I can get an idea of how the CPU fan looks

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsJaXF3MkJU
I found this video of a CPU upgrade for an HP pavilion g7, which is what I have, even though i'm not looking to upgrade my CPU , the CPU fan should be right on top of it right ?

LookItsRain

Distinguished
You have a cooling problem, clean out your computer. If that is not sufficient then buy a cooling pad. If that is not sufficient then reseating the cooler with fresh thermal paste should work, though that may be a difficult job depending on your laptops design.

whassup

Reputable
May 21, 2015

If you are first time opening a laptop, I recommend you to service it with an experienced person and you can look how the dissembling, inside of the laptop goes.

Andrei123

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014

This isn't my first time , although I only opened it to upgrade my hard drive and RAM , I didn't go any further than that.
Thing is , where I live there aren't any PC experts nearby , that's why i'm resorting to opening it up myself

whassup

Reputable
May 21, 2015

Buy a high quality thermal paste. Cooler Master X1 Extreme Fusion is a good quality one. There are even better options that cost more.