Question Huge FPS drops/ computer freezing with updated hardware ?

Oct 14, 2023
Hello! Recently did a motherboard swap and installed new components:

MSI PRO B760M-P

i5-13600kf

RTX 3070

2x16gb DDR5 RAM 5600mhz

850 w psu

The PC overall performs well, but when i for an example turn on a stream on twitch while playing CS2 everything almost freezes, the game, twitch and the whole computer. Usually i loose connection to the server while the whole computer freezes when watching a stream and gaming, which made me think it could be some kind of network problem, but everything worked great with my old setup with the same router so its very weird. Same is when i talk on discord and play at the same time it lags, but not as much.

In task manager everything looks good, temperature looks good on all components. Graphics driver is up to date, windows as well. Watching stream while playing CS2:

RAM: 40%

CPU: 45%

GPU: 85%

I also did a benchmark test and everything was performing well.

I did hear that sometimes i need to reinstall windows to be able to boot into windows with a new motherboard. First time i booted it up it got stuck in bios and couldn't change boot order, but after i saw a video saying that i need to choose CSM, i dont understand what it does but it worked after that.

Could it be something there that does not communicate properly because of windows is setup to my old motherboard? BIOS update?

Really need help im stuck and out of ideas:(

This is what is looks like while ingame and watching stream on the other monitor:

View: https://youtu.be/M3uDAa2DZTU

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Could it be something there that does not communicate properly because of windows is setup to my old motherboard?
Very much so.

Here, there is nothing other to do, than: format your OS drive and make a new, clean Win installation.

OS isn't transferable between different hardware. Sure, you may get away just replacing GPU or upgrading CPU within the same CPU family. But mayor system overhaul, with new MoBo and CPU will require new OS installation as well.

Oct 14, 2023
Very much so.

Here, there is nothing other to do, than: format your OS drive and make a new, clean Win installation.

OS isn't transferable between different hardware. Sure, you may get away just replacing GPU or upgrading CPU within the same CPU family. But mayor system overhaul, with new MoBo and CPU will require new OS installation as well.
I have now finally understood where the problem is and it is packet losses. CS2 release a new update where you can see the packets being sent, and everytime everything freezes i can see that ive had packet loss. Didnt happen on my old setup with the same network so it has to be something in the computer.

Do you think that a clean windows install will make the network work properly?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Do you think that a clean windows install will make the network work properly?
Could be. Only one way to find out.

Thing is, there isn't any well documented list, of what issues OS will spew out, once there is drastic hardware change. But that much is a fact that OS will not work properly. It could even end up with OS corruption.

Oct 14, 2023
What part of the format + clean Win install you didn't understand? :unsure:

Moreover, the video you linked, clearly states in the title of "reset the windows", not "reinstall the windows".
Oh, yeah youre right haha, ill do a reinstall and come back with the results. Thanks for the help!

Oct 14, 2023
What part of the format + clean Win install you didn't understand? :unsure:

Moreover, the video you linked, clearly states in the title: "reset the windows", not "reinstall the windows".
Did a fresh reinstall now and i have the same issue, now im clueless. Maybe it is the network after all

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
now im clueless. Maybe it is the network after all
With clean Win install done, this narrows things down to:
* hardware
* network
* application priority

Hardware wise, RAM issues can cause these hiccups you've shown in your video.

Network wise, as you've found out, you're experiencing packet loss. Now, i don't know enough about networking to troubleshoot it. Still, found this,
guide: https://www.techtarget.com/searchnetworking/definition/packet-loss

Application priority wise, it is possible that your game/stream has lesser priority among other applications and when CPU backs up, it deals with higher priority stuff 1st, leaving hiccups in game/stream.

Out of the three, i'd suspect network issue the most, since all your issues are to do with internet connection.

Oct 14, 2023
With clean Win install done, this narrows things down to:
* hardware
* network
* application priority

Hardware wise, RAM issues can cause these hiccups you've shown in your video.

Network wise, as you've found out, you're experiencing packet loss. Now, i don't know enough about networking to troubleshoot it. Still, found this,
guide: https://www.techtarget.com/searchnetworking/definition/packet-loss

Application priority wise, it is possible that your game/stream has lesser priority among other applications and when CPU backs up, it deals with higher priority stuff 1st, leaving hiccups in game/stream.

Out of the three, i'd suspect network issue the most, since all your issues are to do with internet connection.
I think i just solved it, i think the msi motherboard came with a firewall preinstalled somehow, its called Norton. I saw that all my firewall settings were managed by them. So i disabled all firewall stuff in their app and now it works, no packet losses. FINALLY i can enjoy my new computer, i am so happy haha, thanks for helping out

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
i think the msi motherboard came with a firewall preinstalled somehow, its called Norton.
MoBo itself doesn't contain any other software, other than BIOS, located in BIOS chip.

Norton firewall is 3rd party app, that you have to manually install, especially after clean Win install. Now, it is possible that you installed some MoBo utility program (e.g MSI Dragon Center) and it was installed alongside of it (similar as when installing Ccleaner, it by default wants to install McAfee antivirus as well).

While i too have MSI MoBo as well, i don't use any MSI MoBo utility programs. My firewall is governed by Windows Defender while for malware protection, i have MalwareBytes Premium.