Question huge fps drops in all games

SimBaa

Commendable
May 26, 2017
I had these massive fps drops in all games for like a month. I tried the prefer maximum performance option in both windows and Nvidea control panel settings with no results, temps look fine on both the GPU and CPU, RAM usage is not even close to full, also, all my games are running on a M.2 SSD. I did some system information logging using HWiNFO64 + a stopwatch while playing OSU! for ~6 minutes to get exact info on when the drops happen and the results were kind of weird, the drops occur exactly every 1 minute 0 seconds less 0 seconds more. here are the result in an excel chart (+=2 seconds of every drop). I cant figure out whats wrong with my system HALP!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S2qWYPHxSWqdzN31VNKR2hFWEkrfZscf/view?usp=sharing

my rig:
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @3.8ghz
CPU Cooler: DeepCool CAPTAIN 240EX RGB
mb: Gigabyte GA AB-350-Gaming 3
GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti AMP Edition
RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000mhz
Storage: WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB M.2, 500GB SanDisk SSD, 1TB HDD
PSU: 850W EVGA GOLD

Ralston18

Titan
Any power savers or screen savers running with a 60 minute configuration setting?

Any scheduled backup activities established to launch/run on the hour?

Check Task Manager for any unidentified or unexpected apps running in the background.

Reliability History/Manager and Event Viewer may be capturing some re-occurring issue in their respective logs.

Have you tried downloading new GPU driver's via Zotac's website?

Download, reinstall, and reconfigure the drivers.

SimBaa

Commendable
May 26, 2017
Any power savers or screen savers running with a 60 minute configuration setting?

Check Task Manager for any unidentified or unexpected apps running in the background.

Reliability History/Manager and Event Viewer may be capturing some re-occurring issue in their respective logs.

The drops come every 1 minute and not every 60 minutes. I also checked both windows and nvidea's power saving plans and they are both turned off and set to prefer maximum performance as stated above already.

No scheduled updates or anything.

All clean.
I dont even know what that is xD

Yes and it turned out that zotac's drivers are pretty old so I updated them using geforce experience program

Performed a "clean install" from geforce experience when updating the drivers. I guess that gets the job done.

And ty for replying

Ralston18

Titan
Reliability History/Manager and Event Viewer are built in Windows tools/utilities that capture and save things that happen while Windows is running.

You can access either one by typing the name into the "Type here to search box".

Reliability History is generally easier to understand and follow.

Again look for errors at the 1 minute/60 seconds mark (thank you for the correction) that correspond with fps drops.

SimBaa

Commendable
May 26, 2017
Reliability History/Manager and Event Viewer are built in Windows tools/utilities that capture and save things that happen while Windows is running.

You can access either one by typing the name into the "Type here to search box".

Reliability History is generally easier to understand and follow.

Again look for errors at the 1 minute/60 seconds mark (thank you for the correction) that correspond with fps drops.

reliability hstory is clean but event viewer is full of "DistributedCOM" event "10016" errors

Ralston18

Titan
Permissions....

You will need to do some additional reading and research to get at the root of the problem.

For example:

https://www.itexperience.net/2018/1...on-for-the-com-server-application-with-clsid/

The objective is to find similar websites/fixes/"how-to's" that closely match your system and configuration. Details matter.

Do avoid downloading any "we will fix" type utilites or applications. Likely that those "fixes" will show up no matter what the problem is being addressed.

Also avoid Registry Edit "solutions". Last resort.

There are two things that most likely can be safely done:

1) Try running the Windows 10 built in troubleshooters. They may find and fix something.

2) Run "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) via the command prompt.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Overall, the key is to narrow down the problem as much as possible: i.e., a specific app, some configuration setting, an old or corrupted driver. Some missing Windows update.

As always, be sure that you have everything backed up and verified readable.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

SimBaa

Commendable
May 26, 2017
Permissions....

You will need to do some additional reading and research to get at the root of the problem.

For example:

https://www.itexperience.net/2018/1...on-for-the-com-server-application-with-clsid/

The objective is to find similar websites/fixes/"how-to's" that closely match your system and configuration. Details matter.

Do avoid downloading any "we will fix" type utilites or applications. Likely that those "fixes" will show up no matter what the problem is being addressed.

Also avoid Registry Edit "solutions". Last resort.

There are two things that most likely can be safely done:

1) Try running the Windows 10 built in troubleshooters. They may find and fix something.

2) Run "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) via the command prompt.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Overall, the key is to narrow down the problem as much as possible: i.e., a specific app, some configuration setting, an old or corrupted driver. Some missing Windows update.

As always, be sure that you have everything backed up and verified readable.
I fixed the event id "10016" problem but the drops are still present, now both the event viewer and reliability history show no errors at all. any other ideas?

SimBaa

Commendable
May 26, 2017
What make and model router do you have?

Check the router's logs if available and enabled.

How many other devices on your network: wired and wireless?

Some other device may be interfering with network performance....
only my pc and my phone are connected to the router. but i dont get it, why would internet performance affect fps in games (osu! in particular, which is offline)??

Ralston18

Titan
Even if OSU is off-line your pc may (if connected to the network and internet) may still be trying to do other things in the background; updating, backing up, just "checking in" with the mothership - whatever....

The fps drops are likely due to some resource limitation or conflict - even if brief.

Take a closer look at Task Manager and Resource Monitor. Look for some change in anything that occurs with respect to the 60 second intervals.

The graphical representations may make some activity standout.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

SimBaa

Commendable
May 26, 2017
Even if OSU is off-line your pc may (if connected to the network and internet) may still be trying to do other things in the background; updating, backing up, just "checking in" with the mothership - whatever....

The fps drops are likely due to some resource limitation or conflict - even if brief.

Take a closer look at Task Manager and Resource Monitor. Look for some change in anything that occurs with respect to the 60 second intervals.

The graphical representations may make some activity standout.
I closed as much background apps as I could (excluding windows apps), disconnected the ethernet and ran an offline game as a test for a little more than 3 minutes, 3 drops occurred.

here are all the apps running in the background according to the task manager: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JD8-7W5QE8c5w4yEZa9QHOo2MW8aWRWi
here are the system info according to msi afterburner: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1X0Oxf52jVTnyPpHICJPIUenuccSNtsat
the 3 drops are clearly visible in after burner under cpu1 usage and temperature (note that the max temperature of the cpu was 64c aka its not thermal throttling).
here are my bios settings (3.8ghz oc for the cpu, 3000mhz smp profile for the ram): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zEa69XztpqxVoA1MAMXmCYZjirIgWuaR

msi afterburner doesnt show all the system info, so if there is anything missing, the excel chart from HWiNFO64 at the top post has everything.

ty for ur time in advance

Ralston18

Titan
In the Task Manager windows click the column headers to sort from high to low values.

Anything using a high % should be at the top of the lists with minimal bouncing.

Overall, seems to be a lot going on and I am not sure about the CPU information being presented.

Try rolling back to no overclocking and game as usual.

You are not gaming/playing to win per se. Just re-establish stable (no fps drops) performance.

Then gradually work upwards with incremental over-clocking to determine if there is some threshold value(s) wherein the fps drops begin again.

SimBaa

Commendable
May 26, 2017
Anything using a high % should be at the top of the lists with minimal bouncing
As u can already see in the pictures linked, the task manager shows no strange apps using up resources, I will be trying to roll back to no overclocking but I doubt it will have any change since the problem is clearly software related (the one minute thing). This is really frustrating and Im getting tired of it seems like my only choice is to clean reinstall windows, reinstalling all the apps and games is a real pain in the a** -_- and "maybe" this problem will be fixed

SimBaa

Commendable
May 26, 2017
Another thing I noticed, the fps starts droping about 20-30 minutes after pc start up so restarting the pc every 30 minutes seems to be a temporary fix (but who wants to restart the pc after each apex legends match)