i7 8700K
Nvidia RTX 2080 FE
Asus Z-370G motherboard
16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8
Corsair H60 CPU cooler
Corsair TX650M PSU
250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 for boot drive
2TB Firecuda for game storage

I've been dealing with an issue on my PC for quite some time now where the mouse and certain windows will have a stutter or lag effect to them. If I drag a window around it looks like it goes from 165Hz to 30Hz. In troubleshooting this issue a new issue has presented itself.

Let me first start by saying my computer worked flawlessly when I first built it.

The last troubleshooting step I took, among the many prior steps, was to clear the CMOS on the mobo. After clearing the CMOS things seemed to be back to normal in the BIOS although I did notice that my OC profiles were still saved but not applied.

Last night I played Battlefield V and Destiny 2, BFV seemed to run OK but I was getting FPS drops. It was Destiny 2 that played TERRIBLY. In certain areas I was getting 68 FPS from the usual over 100 FPS I would get with settings maxed.

Can anyone explain how something like this can happen? My temps seem to be fine in the mid to high 70s after a couple hours of gaming.

First things first, this is no med, aint even high end, 8700k and rtx2080 is quite almost-the-peak combo when it comes to gaming at non over-the-top-unecessary-xpendy-build.

I'd think drivers are quite guilty, latest nvidia video drivers have been reportedly misbehaving, least i think you should check those first before going into anything else.

lopez.mr.22

Commendable
May 1, 2018

Thanks! Coulda used without your first sentence lol. Literally every post I read about this had people replying telling people how wrong they are about how "High" end their PC is. Oddly enough you're saying mine is over the top? Wasn't looking for help on whether or not my PC was high end or not or much it cost to build.

Guess I should have mentioned, I have already done a clean install of the latest drivers via DDU. I suppose maybe I could do another install considering I did have to take the GPU out in order to clear the CMOS and maybe in clearing the CMOS that caused some issue. Who knows.

I know i went a bit off topic here, yea, but just saying... theres standpoint and how people perceive things as high end based on that... now you have to consider theres insanely expensive things out there that shouldnt even apply. Today the 'peak' GPU is the RTX 2080ti, mainstream wise, of course theres the 6.000$ quadro RTX, and 18 core xeons. Those are not to be considered gaming wise, so you're near the top my friend.

now back to the problem, i didnt quite mean clean driver install with the latest drivers, i really mean the latest drivers are quite causing the hassle to some people lately, there have been reports quite all over the place. some people are just rolling back to older versions they know that works for sure, ofc this is a guess, but considering you're not supposed to have 'nay' fps issues with that setup.

it could even be the psu in the end of the day, though you gotta start somwhere

lopez.mr.22

Commendable
May 1, 2018

Thanks for the reply!

I'll roll back the drivers to see if that helps. Before that I'm going to run Afterburner and check the stats of the GPU/CPU while gaming to see if I can see if the GPU or CPU is taking a hit while the issue is happening, maybe this will point me to the issue.

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
Run task manager while gaming to see what if anything is dragging down your fps. I would make sure your ime/chipset drivers and bios are up to date on the motherboard. I see that they both have been updated today oddly enough.ALTHOUGH you say your temps are ok while gaming an h60 on an 8700k is asking it a lot to cool. .I would use hwmonitor to also track temps and fan speeds to see if there are any anomalies there. And of course driver updates checking in device manger could be in order too. Last but not least a clean install of win10 may be in order as last resort.

lopez.mr.22

Commendable
May 1, 2018

Hey!

This issue happened last night and I pulled up the task manager, nothing crazy stood out other than the game itself. I think overall CPU usage was in the 20% area and RAM was maybe 20%-30%.

I'll update the BIOS and chipset tonight.

If my temps are fine wouldn't it stand to reason the H60 is doing its job? Based on other peoples post my temps can definitely be lower, but they are pretty normal.

Clean install will definitely be my last resort and I'm backing up today to prepare for this as I think I will need to do it.

lopez.mr.22

Commendable
May 1, 2018

I did a fresh install, twice actually because the first time I did it through the Reset PC option in Windows it didn't completely remove my files, which is what I wanted to happen. This didn't resolve the issue though.

I ended up chatting with Nvidia yesterday and they had me make a ton of changes to the Global Settings and also changes to the game specifically in Program Settings, namely Power Mode to Prefer Maximum Performance, Pre-rendered Frames to 3, Threaded Optimization off, Triple Buffering off and Vsync off.

After making these changes he had me play and I still had the issue. Huge stutter, frames dropped from like 165 to 90.

After this he had me check if I had an CPU cores parked, which none where. He then had me check the Services tab in System Configuration by running msconfig. He had me check the 'Hide all Microsoft services' box then click on Disable all and then re-enable only the Nvidia services, click Apply then restart.

Only after this did the game running smooth. I've only been able to play one match but it ran the best I've ever had it run. Fingers crossed.

UPDATE

I played last night and still noticed the FPS drop, not as bad but it's still there. It's a 50% reduction in frames, which is crazy. Going to run Riva Tuner to see whats going on.

I'm starting to think this is a network issue, maybe dropped packets at my router or issues with my ISPs backbone to the game servers. I played Resident Evil 2 last night and it ran flawlessly, with settings maxed. There was no stutter or any weird stuff. Putting two and two together makes me suspect a network issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.