Question Huge FPS spikes in League of Legends and Beat Saber ?

Apr 27, 2021
Hi,

I have a Predator Triton 300 with an RTX 2070 and an i7 10th Gen. Ever since I got the laptop, on its fresh installation, I have been getting huge fps drops in both League of Legends and Beat Saber, which are the only two games I play. I sit at around 150 - 220 fps on League of Legends but will randomly drop to 10-30 fps for periods of 10 seconds for seemingly no reason. When I have Intel XTU on and monitoring, whenever one of these fps drops happens, it says that my computer temperature drops to 60 degrees all the way from 90 degrees, and once the fps goes back to normal, the temperature rises again.

In Beat Saber, these fps drops last longer. My previous device, a Lenovo Legion y520 with a GTX 1060 6gb had no such issues with either of these games. It had occasional spikes in Beat Saber, but no where near as frequent as on my new laptop, which has way better specs. Is this a cooling issue that should be resolved by sending the laptop in to get new thermal paste? Or are there some other steps I can take to diagnose the issue?

Lutfij

Titan
By fresh installation, did you fabricate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? If so, you should be on 20H2 for the OS by now. Can you see if you have any BIOS updates pending for your laptop? As for your temps for the CPU, you might want to consider undervolting the processor using ThrottleStop but do so at your own risk, please. You should also manually install all relevant drivers for the laptop in an elevated command, after sourcing them from Acer's support site for the laptop. By elevated command, I mean, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Apr 27, 2021
By fresh installation, did you fabricate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? If so, you should be on 20H2 for the OS by now. Can you see if you have any BIOS updates pending for your laptop? As for your temps for the CPU, you might want to consider undervolting the processor using ThrottleStop but do so at your own risk, please. You should also manually install all relevant drivers for the laptop in an elevated command, after sourcing them from Acer's support site for the laptop. By elevated command, I mean, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Undervolting is not an option because all versions of the BIOS were updated to not allow undervolting due to a security concern. Immediately when I had the issue I updated the BIOS and I am also currently on version 20H2. At the same time of this I also manually installed all of the relevant drivers. At this point I would guess it is simply a thermal paste issue or a defect in some part of the cooling causing heavy lag spikes and in general a lot of throttling.