Question Huge Frame Drop

Jul 13, 2019
Hi all,

Needing suggestions because I'm getting major frame drops with my Acer Predator XB2 240 hz monitor. It's hugely impacting whenever I play Competitive Overwatch. It doesn't happen as much in other games, but it still happens. My frames have been significantly dropping to around 40 fps and then will quickly back up to around 130-140 fps and stablizie there. Whenever I first got the monitor and PC (HP Omen) it wasn't like that and I was getting at least 240 hz. I keep my G-Sync off. My video settings are all low in Overwatch. My GPU is an Nvidia 1060. I've already reinstalled my operating system (Windows 10), uninstalled and reinstalled my video driver, updated BIOS and other drivers, ran hardware diagnostics, and uninstalled and reinstalled Overwatch but the issue continues. I also keep my PC cool. Very rarely will the fans sound like it's taking off, but I can see that they're working as they're supposed to with the case I have. Also almost every time I play Overwatch, I will get a message that says "rendering device has been lost" which I've already checked Bkizzard forums which didn't help. The PC also isn't even a year old. It's about six months old. My friend is also getting the same issue with frame drop and we live in the same place. He has a GPU Nvidia 950 and 144hz Acer Predator monitor and we've done all the previous troubleshooting steps I did with mine. We live in the same place. We've also replaced his hard drive (since his hard drive went out) but the issue was happening before then too. I have another friend who it's not happening to him, though, and he has a 144 hz monitor and an Nvidia 970 card. Any help or anything I can do?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums!

What are your full system specs including make and model of PSU? I know it's and OEM but can you take a picture of the
PSU label/sticker, upload somewhere and post link here?

Do you have a link to a page with your PC/specs on HP website?

What 1060 is this?

What are CPU and GPU temps like when playing the gaming? Drops like that and then going back up might indicate a thermal issue.

Also it's very hard to read a 12-line wall of text, please hit enter every 2-3 lines to make it easier to read.

Jul 13, 2019
Oh, I'm sorry. I've never really posted on a forum. Thank you!

My specs are:

Intel i7 8700 coffee lake
Nvidia GTX 1060 3 GB
16 GB RAM
1000 TB hard drive
256 GB ssd nvme
500W Power supply

GPU temps look to range between 60-80C when gaming, but it’ll start at around 50C. Never gets above 80.

CPU temps look to be at around 60-70C.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
The thermals don't really look bad as to cause throttling.

I don't know which 1060 3GB you have as some of them have smaller form factor and smaller coolers and some come with factory overclocks out of the box but the 80 C is a bit on the high side though and 70ish is the 'normal' temps for that card under load. It's nothing to worry about especially if it doesn't exceed 80 C.

Also if by "it’ll start at around 50C" you mean it idles at 50 C that is a bit high. I think you can benefit from better air flow in the case.

Can you check the exact model/part number of the PC and post here?

The monitor is FHD I think, 1080p? Despite low graphics settings, I don't think a 1060 3GB would be able to go as high as 240 fps at 1080p. Are you sure it was as high as that before?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Also to clarify, is your friend in the same building or very local area?
Have you verified internet activity during the frame drops? Does the issue only occur on internet based games?

I'd be doubting how well a 1060 would run 240Hz at 1080p.
ran hardware diagnostics
What exactly do you mean by this? What diagnostics?

Also based on original post, assuming you have already updated all background drivers including chipset drivers, Intel RST (if applicable) etc?
What are the individual core CPU temps and usage? Not just the overall package?
Have you check RAM, DISK, GPU usage also during the frame drops?

Reactions: Satan-IR