Question Huge frame drops during games. PSU?

Jun 18, 2019
Hello everyone. I just recently built my first pc in 10 plus years and am very excited to jump in but there's a problem:

Lately I've been running into some issues with huge frame drops into the single digits on games even if I crank everything down to the lowest settings possible (witcher 3, Crackdown 3, RE2 etc)

Outside of the drops most games will run on max at over 100fps but the drops are so severe its making it hard to play games on it. I've tried to limit fps and such with no help either.

I'm getting a lot of framedrops in all games often when I see cpu spikes. I'm using a stock cooler. could my power supply be causing the problem? here are my specs

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rGrPRJ

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($179.89 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($75.61 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Predator 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($115.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda Compute 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($67.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($509.99 @ Newegg)
Case: VIVO - CASE-V06 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - BR 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($35.98 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link - TL-WN881ND PCIe x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter ($15.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: ARCTIC - Arctic F12 74 CFM 120 mm Fan ($6.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer - ED242QR Abidpx 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1268.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-18 16:43 EDT-0400

Thanks for the help. I look forward to continue to check of this community (and maybe even help others)

Rogue Leader

Titan
Wow, I mean no offense but thats a junky PSU and some junky fans for such a decent build.

PSUs generally work or they don't if the PSU wasn't enough it would get overdrawn and protections would kick in and shut it down. That said if you just built this, box that garbage up and send it back and buy a real PSU. You don't need to spend hundreds but for example the Seasonic Focus Gold 550 would power that rig well and not be a ticking time bomb. if you can afford $500 for a GPU you can afford $80 for a PSU.

Next up please check your system temperatures when you're getting these frame drops. While the stock cooler isn't a problem, you may have had an issue installing it and your CPU is overheating and throttling.

Jun 18, 2019
Wow, I mean no offense but thats a junky PSU and some junky fans for such a decent build.

PSUs generally work or they don't if the PSU wasn't enough it would get overdrawn and protections would kick in and shut it down. That said if you just built this, box that garbage up and send it back and buy a real PSU. You don't need to spend hundreds but for example the Seasonic Focus Gold 550 would power that rig well and not be a ticking time bomb.

Next up please check your system temperatures when you're getting these frame drops. While the stock cooler isn't a problem, you may have had an issue install it and your CPU is overheating and throttling.
No offense taken. I kinda went with a "no nonsense build" and will update stuff like fans later. Thanks for the feedback.

yea temperatures dont seem high at all when it happens. CPU is around 55-60C and the GPU is around 65-68 C

as for the psu unfortunately its past the return date otherwise I would have just done what you said just to ease my mind.

Rogue Leader

Titan
Ok, I still think that PSU has no place in there, its not worth risking some expensive parts because you already bought it. Get yourself a better one, put the old one on eBay and eat the loss.

Temps sound fine I agree. If you're seeing the issue on low settings its not the GPU anyway it has to be CPU or configuration related.

What OS are you running? WIndows 10? Fully Updated? Not Pirated? Is your Page file on your SSD (it should be)?

Games are on the hard drive?

All the latest drivers?

Any background software running?

Jun 18, 2019
Ok, I still think that PSU has no place in there, its not worth risking some expensive parts because you already bought it. Get yourself a better one, put the old one on eBay and eat the loss.

Temps sound fine I agree. If you're seeing the issue on low settings its not the GPU anyway it has to be CPU or configuration related.

What OS are you running? WIndows 10? Fully Updated? Not Pirated? Is your Page file on your SSD (it should be)?

Games are on the hard drive?

All the latest drivers?

Any background software running?
Yea windows 10 running on the ssd fully updated . I got a licence key. games are mostly on the ssd right now. I updated all the drivers when I did a fresh install this week.

Is there a way to confirm the page file is on the ssd?

Rogue Leader

Titan
Yea windows 10 running on the ssd fully updated . I got a licence key. games are mostly on the ssd right now. I updated all the drivers when I did a fresh install this week.

Is there a way to confirm the page file is on the ssd?
Its on the SSD if Win 10 is installed there, you'd need to manually move it which I am sure you did not.

Is there ANY software running in the background? Open up Task manager, is anything running taking CPU cycles?

How long to these stutters last?

Jun 18, 2019
Its on the SSD if Win 10 is installed there, you'd need to manually move it which I am sure you did not.

Is there ANY software running in the background? Open up Task manager, is anything running taking CPU cycles?

How long to these stutters last?
no running software. I dont use it for much so there isnt much processes running in the background.

The stutters only last for a half a second . very short but the drop is so extreme its very noticable. This will often occur every 20-30 seconds usually

Rogue Leader

Titan
no running software. I dont use it for much so there isnt much processes running in the background.

The stutters only last for a half a second . very short but the drop is so extreme its very noticable. This will often occur every 20-30 seconds usually
What monitor are you using?

Can you download MSI Afterburner, and run the teleletry on it? I need to see screenshots of the graphs of whats going on with everything while you are gaming and these issues happen.

Jun 18, 2019
What monitor are you using?

Can you download MSI Afterburner, and run the teleletry on it? I need to see screenshots of the graphs of whats going on with everything while you are gaming and these issues happen.
I was using a combination of fps monitor and in game monitors for games like crackdown 3 and wolfenstein .

fps monitor was giving me 130 fps when palying but the 1% and .01% were often like 8 fps on the witcher 3 for example. The drops always seem to occur at the same time as cpu usage spikes.

I can certainly try afterburner and show you the graphs later today. thanks for the help.

Reactions: Rogue Leader
Jun 18, 2019
heres my bench mark results

UserBenchmarks: Game 114%, Desk 90%, Work 89%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X - 97%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 - 136.8%
SSD: Seagate SSD 500GB - 68.6%
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012) - 104.2%
USB: SanDisk Cruzer Fit 32GB - 6.6%
RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB - 88.9%
MBD: Asrock B450M Pro4

Could my hard drive or ram be the issue?

Jun 18, 2019
I installed the witcher 3 on the hdd and didnt have the same issues so its looking like its the ssd that's having the issue. Gonna look to get it replaced.

I can always show you the graphs if you want but I think the cause is becoming more clear now

Rogue Leader

Titan
I installed the witcher 3 on the hdd and didnt have the same issues so its looking like its the ssd that's having the issue. Gonna look to get it replaced.

I can always show you the graphs if you want but I think the cause is becoming more clear now
No thats ok, From your last post and now confirming it based on your userbenchmark and what you're describing, sounds like a defective SSD. The system is stuttering because the drive isn't delivering the data for whatever reason.

If you can return it and get a Samsung, they are the best in the business when it comes to SSDs.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS