Question Huge GPU RX 580 performance decrease after BIOS + Drivers + Chipset update

Sep 19, 2019
Hello there, I'm having an extremely poor performance on my RX 580 since yesterday, when I had a few problems trying to stream Wolfenstein II with Discord's new feature "Go Live".
First things first, this is my setup:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 8gb
RAM: QUMOX 16gb (8x2) DDR4 2400MHz
MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming B450 Plus
PSU: Corsair CX450

I've had this build for a lot of time now, never really had any problems with it. The only issue I remember having was streaming games either on twitch or mixer, which was basically impossible, since either the streaming was stuttering and my game wasn't, or the game simply kept stuttering and so did my stream. Anyways yesterday I wanted to stream Wolfenstein II to a friend on Discord with the Go Live feature but as soon as I started the streaming and did ALT+TAB back to the game my computer would instantly BSOD with atikmdag.sys failing with SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.
I wanted to fix this issue so bad that I first checked for a new drivers version (I hadn't updated my drivers to the last version yet, I still had the ones from back in June 2019). I updated to 19.9.2 but nothing changed, still BSOD. I tried different fixes, went to Radeon Settings Global Wattman and changed Power Limit to +50% but nothing changed, same error. So I went on further and looked for Chipset drivers, I installed them, tried again, didn't work, checked for BIOS updates, installed it, didn't work. So after spending a few hours without results, I decided to use (stupidly) AMD's cleanup utility, and went ahead and removed my drivers in Safe Mode. So then I reinstalled the GPU's drivers again, I tried both 19.9.2 and an old version as well which wasn't optional, but still same issue with the BSOD trying to stream. I read on a forum about verifying those drivers with windows' verify, so I did, but nothing changed.
So I reinstalled the drivers again with AMD's cleanup utility, I tried one more time but didn't work. So I decided that it was the app's fault and deleted it. I then downloaded DDU, used it to delete the current drivers, tried again but still didn't work. So I went ahead and decided to give Windows Update a shot, since I still had Windows April 2018 build. I updated everything to Windows 10 1903 build, I once again uninstalled and reinstalled GPU drivers, still no change. I decided to give up and just play the game, but I then noticed that it started running really badly. Before it ran at 120+ fps at default settings (Ultra or High, I don't remember). Now I can't get past 65/70 fps! Also changing game settings doesn't really influence the fps that much. I disabled windows' fast boot. I ran a stress test to both GPU and PSU, I also looked for errors, but nothing really. I finally did an userbenchmark test, and where my CPU runs quite average, my GPU runs way below average! I don't know what to do now, I also tried metro 2033 redux, before I could play it really smooth at 150+ fps, now it's a very laggy 120 fps with stuttering feeling...
I NEVER OC'd any of my components, you might think the PSU is the issue but I assure you it's not, RAM neither, I did a memcheck some time ago and everything was alright.
Yesterday I also left my pc restarting inbetween all the driver reinstalls, and when I came back I noticed it froze and my mouse wasn't visible, as soon as I started spamming a few keys of my keyboard it restarted.
BIOS doesn't do any error beeps, and I tried to check for GPU settings but there is none since Ryzen doesn't have integrated graphics.
5IXYlQn.png

Tl;dr I reinstalled my GPU drivers at least 10 times, updated chipset and BIOS, and now I find myself with an underperforming way below average GPU...
I really don't want to format my PC, I have 3TB of stuff that I don't have time nor want to backup. That would really be my last resort. Thank you if you'll ever decide to help me

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019
gpu temp?
not sure which rx 580 you have. but most recommend 500W psu
I have the MSI RX 580 Armor edition
Gpu temp doesn't go above 75°C, both while gaming or stress testing
Also as I wrote never had issues with it until yesterday when I decided to reinstall stuff, so I highly doubt its the PSU