Huge installation problem

Fergusonthefrog

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
Hmm where to start. So i'm trying to install W7 unto my new pc build. My HDD is a new WD Blue 500g and my motherboard is a secondhand asus 8H67-M PRO from ebay. Now when I put the official W7 disk in, the bios rarely detects the Optical Drive and when it does I get the flashing underscore. So I've moved on from that since I think the Optical Drive might be fault and have put a bootable W7 unto a 16GB USB. I boot it from the usb and go all the way to where it says repair installation and advanced/custom install. I click on custom install and my first time my HDD appeared there. So ok I thought everything fine so far. I click next and it goes to the W7 is installing, the first part happens fast and then i'm stuck on the 'Expanding Windows Files' part and it seems like forever but it finally shifts from 0% to 1%. I figure this is gonna take a while so I go take a shower.

I come back to an error with something about there being a file missing. So I restart my system and reach the part where you select the hard drive for the OS to be installed on. Only...the whole thing is blank. Now I've had this issue with both my Optical Drive and HDD going back and forth between working/detected and not working/detected. I figure this might be a problem with the sata cable or motherboard. Yeah i'm kicking myself for buying secondhand on ebay (Seller seems genuine and even sent me e-mails helping me etc.).

TL:DR: I can't use the Optical Drive because even when it does work theres some stupid error such as "There is no OS" or something of the kind. Bootable USB only goes so far IF my HDD is detected and when it is I get the "Expanding Windows Files error". How do I get W7 to install?

Please help, I don't know how to fix this or whatever. This is my first build ever and am already regretting everything. I've been stuck like this for 2 days now endlessly searching back and forth and I've come here as my last resort. Please, what do I do?

Oh yea if this is in the wrong section ill move it if I can (first time using these forums).

Solution
Ah, right the board should have two Sata chipsets.
One is the intel matrix storage manager.
That should handle any device connected to the sata 3 ports.
The WD 500gb is a sata 3 device.

When you get to the setup page, where it says where do you want to install windows look down to where it says load drivers.

You need to have a disk with the intel Matrix storage driver on it in unzipped format.

Go to the folder you created for the driver. and you should see a .INF file let it install the driver.
Swap the disk back to the windows install disk and click next.

So the reason why it halts and says it cannot communicate with a device has to do with the Intel matrix sata 3 chip.

After that all should be ok.

Anyway that is why you get...
Right if you have a problem with devices connected to the board.

Like the DvD rom drive boot not working from dvd disc, and the hard drive not showing when it gets to the part in windows setup.
And asks you to select the HD to install the OS to.

You have a problem with the interface used for the two Sata devices connected.

In the bios you have a few modes.

Sata and Ahci mode.
If the mode is set to Sata a driver for the Sata chipset needs to be pre loaded before windows installation to the hard drive starts.

To avoid the headache set the mode to Ahci mode.
Save the settings in the bios then exit it.

Place the dvd in the drive, press any key to boot message appears.
Run windows setup, Hd should be listed. Select next.

The cd boot will work, the hard drive displayed in windows setup, and a complete windows install of 100%

The reason is because windows install cannot see the hard drive due to the interface mode selected in the bios, it expands the files to the hard drive, and is why you get the error.

Trust me.

Fergusonthefrog

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
I moved my HDD to another computer and W7 installed fine, I was about to update the drivers before I realized this wasn't my new computer. So I formatted it and brang it back to some more errors.

Fergusonthefrog

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
@Shaun O
Yeah mate I set it to ahci mode in bios (other options were RAID and IDE) and I forgot to mention I have the chipset, intel rapid something and a few other drivers on another USB. I load it up on the screen but cant proceed, Ill check the exact error in a sec if the HDD decides to detect.

Fergusonthefrog

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
Hey guys so I gave another shot what Shaun said. Got all the way to expanding files then I get "Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, then restart the installation. error code 0x800703E7". Am I screwed?

Fergusonthefrog

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
I loaded everything to default, then set it to AHCI. I then booted from the W7 disc but an error came up. 'Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer"

Ah, right the board should have two Sata chipsets.
One is the intel matrix storage manager.
That should handle any device connected to the sata 3 ports.
The WD 500gb is a sata 3 device.

When you get to the setup page, where it says where do you want to install windows look down to where it says load drivers.

You need to have a disk with the intel Matrix storage driver on it in unzipped format.

Go to the folder you created for the driver. and you should see a .INF file let it install the driver.
Swap the disk back to the windows install disk and click next.

So the reason why it halts and says it cannot communicate with a device has to do with the Intel matrix sata 3 chip.

After that all should be ok.

Anyway that is why you get the error.

The intel matrix storage driver needs to be pre loaded before, you click next to install.

Since you have a sata 3 WD 500Gb drive connected to the sata 3 ports of the board.

Windows does not come with a native driver to support a sata 3 chip on the board.

Intel Matrix storage driver, is not included in windows setup you see.
So its why it comes up with the error of having problems communicating with the sata 3 chip set.

If you pre load the driver it should work fine.

Honestly I was half tired, it`s only this morning I clicked after your last post exactly what it was.

Solution