[SOLVED] Huge lag spikes from new pc build.

Nov 12, 2020
I am running into a big issue and I cannot seem to fix it no matter what I do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I built a new computer for my girlfriend and everything in it is brand new except for the graphics card. I gave her my old but fairly new 2080 when I upgraded to the 3080. She has had the computer for about 2 weeks and everything and every game has been running smoothly until very recently. We started playing Conan Exiles and at first the game ran perfectly and very smooth at about 50-80 fps for her on ultra. Fast forward 80 hours put into the game off and on and now we are facing a big problem, lag spikes. She will start playing and the game will be fine for a few hours but then she starts to get extreme lag spikes and stutters. She will go from 65ish fps down to 12 or 9 fps every few minutes for a second or two and once it starts stuttering like this it doesn't stop until she either restarts the computer (which sometimes doesn't fix the issue) or just stops playing for about 20-30 minutes and rinse and repeat. We have tried numerous things and nothing seems to work. She was also getting BSOD's maybe once every two days but after turning off intel turbo boost that seems to have fixed that issue. The lag spikes still exist though. I am running out of things to try and nothing seems to fix it. I will list everything we have tried and I will put the specs of her pc below. Again any help is greatly appreciated.

PC Specs:

Mobo - ASRock Z390 STEEL LEGEND LGA 1151

CPU - i7 9700F

CPU Cooler - CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML240L RGB V2

GPU - Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2080 Gaming OC

Ram - TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) 3200MHz

PSU - Phanteks AMP Series 650W 80PLUS Gold

Monitor - ASUS VG278QR 27" Full HD 1920 x 1080 165Hz 0.5ms

everything is stock nothing is overclocked except for the ram since I had to enable XMP to get the ram to run at 3200MHz instead of 2133.

Things we have troubleshooted so far:

-Uninstalled and cleaned gpu drivers with DDU and reinstalled the latest set of drivers.

-She had NZXT CAM installed, we uninstalled that.

-Disabled windows defender.

-Turned off intel turbo boost.

-Made sure the cpu was using the max amount of power it can be in the windows power settings.

-When the game starts stuttering we closed it and instantly tried other games to see if those games would return the same results but they didn't, they ran smoothly as normal.

-Turned off Gsync.

-Lowered the in game settings to medium from ultra but the problem persists.

-Reinstalled the game.

-Monitored the CPU and GPU performance and temps, will list results below.

-I noticed when she starts to stutter that the GPU performance dips down from around 40-50 percent usage to less than 10

This forum will not let me post pictures, so I will do my best to explain the results.

The task manager graphs for her CPU when the game is stuttering are all over the place, they spike from 30 percent to 100 percent and in between very frequently

When the game is smooth one of the graphs is near 100 percent but the rest are semi smooth and all hovering around 50ish percent with no big spikes.

Her CPU temps stay around the same when the game is stuttering or not stuttering. The temps for each core range from around 39C to 42C

Her GPU temps hover around 55-68 degrees celsius when gaming and 30-35 when idle.

We ran benchmarks via userbenchmark. we ran one while she was having stutters in game and we ran one when the game was closed and computer was idle. The results are below.

Benchmark results while the game is open and stuttering:

benchmark 1

Benchmark results while the game is closed and computer is mostly idle:

benchmark 2

I have exhausted everything I can think of myself but I'm sure I could be missing something. My first thought was that the cpu or gpu was overheating but the temps seem fine across the board. I have tried doing tons of research but everything we try seems to come up short. Anyone have any ideas or different tests we could possibly run to get to the bottom of this? Again any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Solution
check your power management settings, it might be your hard drives power down after idling for x number of mins - you can set that to Never or something higher than your current setting.
Jul 6, 2020
I am running into a big issue and I cannot seem to fix it no matter what I do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I built a new computer for my girlfriend and everything in it is brand new except for the graphics card. I gave her my old but fairly new 2080 when I upgraded to the 3080. She has had the computer for about 2 weeks and everything and every game has been running smoothly until very recently. We started playing Conan Exiles and at first the game ran perfectly and very smooth at about 50-80 fps for her on ultra. Fast forward 80 hours put into the game off and on and now we are facing a big problem, lag spikes. She will start playing and the game will be fine for a few hours but then she starts to get extreme lag spikes and stutters. She will go from 65ish fps down to 12 or 9 fps every few minutes for a second or two and once it starts stuttering like this it doesn't stop until she either restarts the computer (which sometimes doesn't fix the issue) or just stops playing for about 20-30 minutes and rinse and repeat. We have tried numerous things and nothing seems to work. She was also getting BSOD's maybe once every two days but after turning off intel turbo boost that seems to have fixed that issue. The lag spikes still exist though. I am running out of things to try and nothing seems to fix it. I will list everything we have tried and I will put the specs of her pc below. Again any help is greatly appreciated.

PC Specs:

Mobo - ASRock Z390 STEEL LEGEND LGA 1151

CPU - i7 9700F

CPU Cooler - CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML240L RGB V2

GPU - Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2080 Gaming OC

Ram - TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) 3200MHz

PSU - Phanteks AMP Series 650W 80PLUS Gold

Monitor - ASUS VG278QR 27" Full HD 1920 x 1080 165Hz 0.5ms

everything is stock nothing is overclocked except for the ram since I had to enable XMP to get the ram to run at 3200MHz instead of 2133.

Things we have troubleshooted so far:

-Uninstalled and cleaned gpu drivers with DDU and reinstalled the latest set of drivers.

-She had NZXT CAM installed, we uninstalled that.

-Disabled windows defender.

-Turned off intel turbo boost.

-Made sure the cpu was using the max amount of power it can be in the windows power settings.

-When the game starts stuttering we closed it and instantly tried other games to see if those games would return the same results but they didn't, they ran smoothly as normal.

-Turned off Gsync.

-Lowered the in game settings to medium from ultra but the problem persists.

-Reinstalled the game.

-Monitored the CPU and GPU performance and temps, will list results below.

-I noticed when she starts to stutter that the GPU performance dips down from around 40-50 percent usage to less than 10

This forum will not let me post pictures, so I will do my best to explain the results.

The task manager graphs for her CPU when the game is stuttering are all over the place, they spike from 30 percent to 100 percent and in between very frequently

When the game is smooth one of the graphs is near 100 percent but the rest are semi smooth and all hovering around 50ish percent with no big spikes.

Her CPU temps stay around the same when the game is stuttering or not stuttering. The temps for each core range from around 39C to 42C

Her GPU temps hover around 55-68 degrees celsius when gaming and 30-35 when idle.

We ran benchmarks via userbenchmark. we ran one while she was having stutters in game and we ran one when the game was closed and computer was idle. The results are below.

Benchmark results while the game is open and stuttering:

benchmark 1

Benchmark results while the game is closed and computer is mostly idle:

benchmark 2

I have exhausted everything I can think of myself but I'm sure I could be missing something. My first thought was that the cpu or gpu was overheating but the temps seem fine across the board. I have tried doing tons of research but everything we try seems to come up short. Anyone have any ideas or different tests we could possibly run to get to the bottom of this? Again any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
If you check benchmark number 1 it says that your background CPU usage is very high, at 54%, did you have anything running in the background?