[SOLVED] Huge Lag Spikes on Ethernet but not wifi

May 7, 2020
I have been experiencing large lag spikes and slow speeds on my ethernet connection. Pinging the router shows large spikes (over 1000ms ping) that seems to coincide with the windows service host on my computer sending and receiving packets from a Cloudflare server. Using netstat -aon does not give a PID corresponding to that IP address. How do I figure out what application is causing these spikes?
As the post title states this process only seems to cause lag spikes over ethernet as my wifi connection is stable and fast. I am using google wifi with home ethernet being distributed over a 16 port Cisco gigabit switch (Model SG-110-16hp)

Solution
I had to go out of town away from my pc for a bit but I did what you said with the Linux USB running manjaro and encountered no issues.
I am at a loss as these lag spikes only started once I came to my parent's house. I had no issues like this in my apartment at school using the exact same PC.
The home ethernet here relies on a Cisco 16 port unmanaged lan switch but I reset that twice and that also did not help the situation,
So the linux test as well as testing the system in another location with another isp proves that it is not the system at all but the Internet access at your parent's house. Your parents will need to call the isp.
May 7, 2020
Disconnect your wired ethernet cable and see if after 30 minutes or so you don't see the same lags on your wifi.
I've been using wifi only for days now and the connection is super stable no lag spikes at all in game or otherwise. I am beginning to suspect the issue is with my onboard LAN adapter. I did however ping the loopback address and didn't have any spikes there so I'm not sure.

I've been using wifi only for days now and the connection is super stable no lag spikes at all in game or otherwise. I am beginning to suspect the issue is with my onboard LAN adapter. I did however ping the loopback address and didn't have any spikes there so I'm not sure.
Interesting. There is a possibility that it could be your lan adapter, but that's pretty rare so let's try a two other things first.

One, reboot the cisco switch, especially if it hasn't been rebooted in a while. Then make sure you disconnect from wifi and try the lan again.

If you still have problems, let's boot up a linux live cd/usb and see if you have problems there. If so, then that is pointing to a hardware issue with the lan adapter.

May 7, 2020
Interesting. There is a possibility that it could be your lan adapter, but that's pretty rare so let's try a two other things first.

One, reboot the cisco switch, especially if it hasn't been rebooted in a while. Then make sure you disconnect from wifi and try the lan again.

If you still have problems, let's boot up a linux live cd/usb and see if you have problems there. If so, then that is pointing to a hardware issue with the lan adapter.

I had to go out of town away from my pc for a bit but I did what you said with the Linux USB running manjaro and encountered no issues.
I am at a loss as these lag spikes only started once I came to my parent's house. I had no issues like this in my apartment at school using the exact same PC.
The home ethernet here relies on a Cisco 16 port unmanaged lan switch but I reset that twice and that also did not help the situation,

So the linux test as well as testing the system in another location with another isp proves that it is not the system at all but the Internet access at your parent's house. Your parents will need to call the isp.

Solution