Question Huge lag when computer is on, but not plugged in.

Nov 18, 2019
My internet works well enough when my computer isn't on. My family can use it with no problems on our phones and our laptop. But when my computer is turned on, it immediately turns everything into a slog. Our normally 400 kb/s download speed is slowed down to 4kb/s or lower. Constant "request timed out"s when pinging google on the ipconfig. And the odd thing is this happens even when I remove the ethernet cable from the computer. The computer has absolutely no access to connect to our router and it still causes the above issues.

I've been dealing with this issue for almost a year now, and I'm running out of options. As such I'm new here. Thanks in advance.

Does your computer has WiFi adapter you've forgotten about?
Is your computer too close to the router?
Or is connected to same electrical circuit?

Login to your router, it should have a page where all connected devices are listed. Turn your computer, refresh the page, and see differences.

Nov 18, 2019
  1. I know I don't have a wireless adapter plugged in because I unplugged it to make sure I was using ethernet.
  2. My router is a floor above the computer.
  3. No, the only other electronics that are on the same circuit as my computer are the microwave and refrigerator.

My connected devices page shows the computer, but in an unconnected mode, same as other devices not currently connected. I turn off my computer and nothing changes.

Are Ethernet connected devices also effected, or just wi-fi devices?
Is the case on the computer, and the IO shield in place?

I'm thinking EMI - I knew a computer where removing the case caused everything wireless within a couple of hundred feet to fail (a long long time ago, the PC was a monster server with a 80486DX at 50 MHz).