Question Huge perfomance lost cause by low clock GPU (asus rog RTX 2060)

Jun 11, 2021
Around prob 2 month ago, i was playing minecraft with shaders on and all of a sudden i got a huge FPS drop, the next day it was not working properly, i found a "fix" by changing some option in the registry Editor, But it only worked for a couple of days, and so 2 months later its stil the same, i can barely play gta now, 10FPS on high settings. that's not normal for an RTX, and every game so far, it's been a huge FPS loss, even on apex / valorant / csgo, you name it. i've updated my driver, mobo BIOS, reinstall windows + updated it. So far nothing has worked, but the 1 thing that wasnt right was the power consumption, when it was working fine it used to take around 7 watts of power when in IDLE, now it takes 100watts, straight to the GPU, i checked msi afterburner to notice it was running at a clock of 300MHZ while the memory clock would skyrocket at 7000MHz,and it would stuck like that everytime. temperature is normal though, i haven't changed the thermal paste for almost 3 years now. here are my specs, hope someone find a fix before i take it to the shop to replace the card, and i forgot to say this, now when playing anything, the usage of the GPU is 100% while the CPU 20-40% and there's a power limit on MSI afterburner

CPU : i5-9400F
Mobo : Asrock B365M-HDV
GPU : Asus rog Rtx 2060
RAM : 16Gb hyperx fury ddr4
Storage : 2TB HDD + 256 SSD
PSU : Coolermaster masterwatt 700 lite

kTtWQYg.png
RVV8U5b.png

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, Power Limit bit is on. And the GPU is running at 111W at near idle. 100W at .7 volts doesn't seem right at all. (Difference is the fans I would guess)

What registry entry did you modify?

Possible there is something wrong with the power sensor on the card, but not sure.

Jun 11, 2021
Well, Power Limit bit is on. And the GPU is running at 111W at near idle. 100W at .7 volts doesn't seem right at all. (Difference is the fans I would guess)

What registry entry did you modify?

Possible there is something wrong with the power sensor on the card, but not sure.
I change the GameDVR to off, it works for a couple of days, then it went broken again so i change it back to on

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Can you get a FPS counter running? I would be curious what the frame rate is on the desktop. That registry key might let the GPU render a ludicrous amount of frames.

I would set that back to on, just so you are on a normal footing while troubleshooting. Shouldn't be a cap to any games that have their own settings anyway. Geforce Experience would also likely override it.

Reactions: MegaDragonWolf
Jun 11, 2021
this is on my desktop, it wouldn't show,
kf2z8hl.png

but this was when i played ETS2 and i was getting roughly 30FPS at max settings
3oX88cg.jpg

i'll be on apex in a min to get some more Screenshot

Jun 11, 2021
Can you get a FPS counter running? I would be curious what the frame rate is on the desktop. That registry key might let the GPU render a ludicrous amount of frames.

I would set that back to on, just so you are on a normal footing while troubleshooting. Shouldn't be a cap to any games that have their own settings anyway. Geforce Experience would also likely override it.
YstOfia.png

i forgot to reply you on the last post, woops. but yeah this is on very high settings

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
I'm afraid some capacitors on the card are gone, therefore the malfunctioning result of it. If it wasn't after some tinkering/update it's most definitely the card hardware. I would bring it to a shop so they can test it on another rig. If the problem persists (and imo it will) then you know the card is gone).

Jun 11, 2021
I'm afraid some capacitors on the card are gone, therefore the malfunctioning result of it. If it wasn't after some tinkering/update it's most definitely the card hardware. I would bring it to a shop so they can test it on another rig. If the problem persists (and imo it will) then you know the card is gone).
alright, thank you, gonna bring it to the shop now

The GPU core clock is stuck at 300MHz in every screenshot it's visible. Either something you changed had that effect, or the GPU is faulty and stuck at that speed.
I would try a clean windows installation if possible. If you don't want to mess with your current drive, use a spare one to install there but please first remove all the other drives.

Jun 11, 2021
The GPU core clock is stuck at 300MHz in every screenshot it's visible. Either something you changed had that effect, or the GPU is faulty and stuck at that speed.
I would try a clean windows installation if possible. If you don't want to mess with your current drive, use a spare one to install there but please first remove all the other drives.
i did a clean windows installation, and use DDU to remove the other drives and installed the latest one already, but it was a sudden perfomance / FPS drop when it happened, after it happened then i change somethings in the registry editor / settings.