Question Huge performance drop - - - is my PSU faulty or is there something I am missing ?

Jun 10, 2024
Hi all and thanks in advance for the help,

I've never really been too tech involved but a few days ago my PC overnight seemed to just drop immensely in performance, to the point where even watching youtube can cause stutters.

I was playing CP2077 the day before getting about 40-80 fps depending on areas and play a lot of Hearthstone at maxed frames but then when I woke up and came on my PC I noticed everything was stuttering and freezing, 10 frames on CP2077 and like 50 on hearthstone, so I did as best research as i thought I could and came to the conclusion its either my GPU failing or my PSU.

Also I should mention that my PC frames and performance are actually fine for the first 15 minutes or so from turning on, I did a Furmark test straight after turning the PC on this morning (I heard its not great but only after using it) and everything was fine it was around 140FPS and like 200W(?) power usage, but doing one now once the PC has become slow again is showing 30fps but also 15-20W power usage. So I guess my question is would that be the GPU not pulling enough power or the PSU not sending enough? Sorry if I've left out a lot of details but I will try and reply ASAP in the thread

note: PSU has been in use for I would say nearly 4-5 years?

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080-Ti
SSD: CT1000BX500SSD1 1TB
SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012)
HDD: WD Blue 2.5" 750GB
RAM: Corsair CMK8GX4M2A2400C14 CMK8GX4M2B3000C15 CMK8GX4M2A2400C14 CMK8GX4M2B3000C15 16GB
MBD: Asus PRIME H270-PLUS
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1, 80+ GOLD 650W

zdp.png

Last edited:
make & model of all components
which also includes the power supply,
and include the overall time that the PSU has been in use.
RAM: Corsair...16GB
mixing RAM kits can also lead to many different problems hardware & software-wise.

even if it may have seemed fine until recently;
try with only a single packaged kit in the appropriate DIMM slot(s) and see if there is a difference in performance.

Jun 10, 2024
which also includes the power supply,
and include the overall time that the PSU has been in use.

mixing RAM kits can also lead to many different problems hardware & software-wise.

even if it may have seemed fine until recently;
try with only a single packaged kit in the appropriate DIMM slot(s) and see if there is a difference in performance.
Thank you for the pointers about the post I really appreciate it, I will try the RAM stuff and let you know how it goes

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost
Jun 10, 2024
after these 4-5 years of heavy use it could be showing some issue with continuing to push this card at full power.
that does make a lot of sense, just hoping its not my GPU as not in a great spot budget wise at the moment, is there really a way to tell what component is causing the issue or would I be better off taking it to my local PC store?

is there really a way to tell what component is causing the issue
make sure BIOS and all component's drivers are up to date,

run a few rounds of Memtest86,

test OS & game installation drive(s) for errors,

make sure temperatures of all components are staying within a good range while being stressed,

use Windows' SFC/scannow option to check the OS files...
would I be better off taking it to my local PC store?
i would first test the system with the single kit of RAM
and go through previous mentioned routines.

if you don't have access to a spare similar system you can test hardware in or even a spare PSU to try
then a local shop should have the ability to test all hardware individually.

Reactions: DevikBeast
Jun 10, 2024
Well one day after installing the PSU and thinking it has been fixed, same issue has returned, at this point im thinking the GPU is failing/failed or the shunt resistors are bad im not sure. Going to reapply thermal paste tomorrow to both the CPU and GPU and go from there.