Question Humidity problem?

elgreco1312

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019
Hello, yesterday i woke up and as usually i moved my mouse to also wake up my pc so i can hear some music and enjoy my cig. Pc working fine till now. After that i turn off computer in order to make some breakfast before starting my gaming session. Sadly when i turned on my computer after about 30 - 45 minutes , i realised that i couldnt see anything on my monitor . So i started looking out for the problem. Turns out that my graphics card's fans is not working so i thought the card has broken down. I unplugged the card to remove the dust and i realised it was a bit wet in some places . After completely cleaning and drying the card i plugged it back in only to realise that its still not working. Rest of the system runs fine btw . So in order to use my pc for music and studying i had to plug the vga spot into the motherboard . Pc worked fine . Then i asked a friend of mine to borrrow me his card in order to play till i get a new one . My card was a gigabyte radeon r7 250 2gb and my friends card which i borrowed was asus raderon r7 250 2gb also . So i plug in my friends card plugging hdmi cable . I turn on the computer and the card's fan worked 3-4 seconds then my whole pc shutdown and rebooted while the cards fan was not running . I tried CMOS reset right after reading some threads with same problems as mine . Then i said forget it and plugged in the vga cable back to mobo in order to use my pc for studying but it doesnt work . Right now i have no idea what do and also dont wanna order a card till i identify if the problem is the motherboard or the graphics card.
Specs:
Mobo : M5A78L-MLX3
Old card : Gigabyte radeon r7 250 2bg
New card : Asus radeon r7 250 2gb
PSU: Deer 500w

Any help is appreciated, thank you

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
It was sure liquid, imagine i even unscrewed the card into two parts to fully clear and dry it, and yes my psu is top mounted

Was there any color to it? I'm trying to first rule out bulging, leaking capacitors in the power supply, something which ought to happen sooner or later given the notoriously low quality of Deer-made power supplies.

It doesn't seem to be a GPU-specific problem since your friend's didn't work. It could be the motherboard, but it's also possible that the little bit of moisture you saw was coincidental; it could be the power supply given the problems you describe and the very low quality of the power supply. Or it could even be both the motherboard and the power supply given that a power supply like this can very easily take out the motherboard and more.

Reactions: elgreco1312

elgreco1312

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019
Was there any color to it? I'm trying to first rule out bulging, leaking capacitors in the power supply, something which ought to happen sooner or later given the notoriously low quality of Deer-made power supplies.

It doesn't seem to be a GPU-specific problem since your friend's didn't work. It could be the motherboard, but it's also possible that the little bit of moisture you saw was coincidental; it could be the power supply given the problems you describe and the very low quality of the power supply. Or it could even be both the motherboard and the power supply given that a power supply like this can very easily take out the motherboard and more.

Correct, sadly both my motherboard and gpu got destroyed by humidity but at least rest of computer is fine , psu surprisngly works.

Turns out i made a mistake when i tried to figure out the problem in the first place by laying my turret flat on the floor which made the 'liquids' move and also damage my motherboard overnight.
Much thanks, your help was appreciated!

DSzymborski

Titan
Correct, sadly both my motherboard and gpu got destroyed by humidity but at least rest of computer is fine , psu surprisngly works.

Turns out i made a mistake when i tried to figure out the problem in the first place by laying my turret flat on the floor which made the 'liquids' move and also damage my motherboard overnight.
Much thanks, your help was appreciated!

I certainly wouldn't use that PSU again. You'd be luckier if it were dead as a doorstop.