[SOLVED] Humongous stutters in Fortnite

Jul 25, 2021
Hey, I recently installed Fortnite on my hdd and when I join a game it stutters heavily for 1 min or so before it gets playable, here's what it looks like : https://streamable.com/sb4vws
The stutters go away when I install it on my ssd but I don't have much space so I'd rather keep it for AAA games like RDR2 and such, so I'd like to know if there's a fix.

Here's what I tried so far :
  • Reinstall my gpu drivers (clean install using DDU)
  • Reinstall my chipset drivers (uninstalled the previous ones using driver store explorer)
  • Update my BIOS
  • Move Fortnite to another HDD
  • Turn off MSI mode on my hdd
  • Disable WinDefender completely (prevent the service from starting)
My specs are :
3700x
GTX 1070
16gb DDR4 3000MHz
7200rpm HDD

Any help is appreciated !

Last edited:
Solution
Defrag your HDD. Also, I have a GTX 1060. But, I had fps uncapped (unlimited), which caused huge fps drops and unsmooth gameplay. I fixed it by capping the fps to 165 fps (stays stable butter smooth no lag) and of course, without vsync. Now it's just stable 165 all the time without issues so capping the frames seems to fix something in this game.
Jul 25, 2021
yeah I'd like to, unfortunately I can't afford it rn, also I'm posting because my friend who has fortnite installed on an hdd as well doesn't experience those hiccups, he also has a lower end config (gtx 770 etc)

Aug 9, 2021
Hey, I recently installed Fortnite on my hdd and when I join a game it stutters heavily for 1 min or so before it gets playable, here's what it looks like : https://streamable.com/sb4vws
The stutters go away when I install it on my ssd but I don't have much space so I'd rather keep it for AAA games like RDR2 and such, so I'd like to know if there's a fix.

Here's what I tried so far :
  • Reinstall my gpu drivers (clean install using DDU)
  • Reinstall my chipset drivers (uninstalled the previous ones using driver store explorer)
  • Update my BIOS
  • Move Fortnite to another HDD
  • Turn off MSI mode on my hdd
  • Disable WinDefender completely (prevent the service from starting)
My specs are :
3700x
GTX 1070
16gb DDR4 3000MHz
7200rpm HDD

Any help is appreciated !
Try activating windows game mode, it worked me :)

Jul 25, 2021
I already have it enabled sadly !
Recently I saw a comparison video between hdd and ssd on fortnite and it seems like a global issue on hdd so I think there's nothing I can do about it besides having fortnite installed on an ssd

Aug 9, 2021
I already have it enabled sadly !
Recently I saw a comparison video between hdd and ssd on fortnite and it seems like a global issue on hdd so I think there's nothing I can do about it besides having fortnite installed on an ssd
I don t think so. The game runs perfectly fine on my rig since I have enabled that feature. I install all my games on the HDD due to the high storage and most people do the same. This is not the issue..

Jul 25, 2021
Disabling shader cache via nvidia control panel doesn't fix it either. (I was suspecting a shader issue because the game would heavily stutter everytime I got killed)

Jul 25, 2021
I finally found the culprit, it was because of a software that wipes the memory standby list called ISLC. I'm guessing Fortnite loads the assets and shaders into that list to re-use them when needed but the software was wiping them each time the list would reach 1024mb. Anyways I hope this will help anyone facing the same issue.

jnxzi94

Commendable
Jul 13, 2021
Defrag your HDD. Also, I have a GTX 1060. But, I had fps uncapped (unlimited), which caused huge fps drops and unsmooth gameplay. I fixed it by capping the fps to 165 fps (stays stable butter smooth no lag) and of course, without vsync. Now it's just stable 165 all the time without issues so capping the frames seems to fix something in this game.

Solution
D

Deleted member 14196

I finally found the culprit, it was because of a software that wipes the memory standby list called ISLC. I'm guessing Fortnite loads the assets and shaders into that list to re-use them when needed but the software was wiping them each time the list would reach 1024mb. Anyways I hope this will help anyone facing the same issue.
why are you using such software?????? causing your own problems.... I swear to God you people make 99.9999% of your OWN problems by running USELESS CRAP SOFTWARE THAT IS NEVER EVER EVER NEEDED FOR ANY REASON

there is never a need to ever run ANY "cleaner" FOR ANY REASON EVER. if you screwed up Windows and it's slow, FORMAT AND REINSTALL then RESIST the urge to touch it. it needs no optimization

Could you plz provide more info about your solution?
yeah, he caused his own problems by running a stupid "cleaner" that is never needed for any reason ever.

if you have stutters in games, then most likely it's because your memory isn't set up right, usually people mix ram, it's running slow... other than that it's a drive issue, maybe rarely a GPU type of issue. running ISLC is supposed to reduce stutters, and the funny thing is, IT MADE THEM WORSE! if your system is stuttering, test and figure out what the issue is instead of throwing useless CLEANERS at the issue

get into the habbit of leaving windows the #$ alone from the get-go and you won't have hardly any if any issues.

Last edited by a moderator: