Hungapp when try to print

I've been using an Epson printer (Stylus Scan 2500) w/ my Windows XP laptop
for almost 3 years and have never had a problem until 2 weeks ago. Whenever
I try to print, the application freezes up. I've also had problems with
certain programs that need to access the internet for updates (e.g.,
AntiSpyware) getting frozen as well. I'm not a computer expert but I'm
wondering if the fact that my printer does not have an XP driver might be
causing the problem. Is it possible that the non-compatible driver is
causing problems now, years later? Or might something else be causing these
issues? I uninstalled the printer, but now the computer won't let me
reinstall it (I thought that maybe a driver was corrupted). Any suggestions?
Epson doesn't have an XP compatible driver for this printer. Thanks!

Jim

"dmwiecz" <dmwiecz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been using an Epson printer (Stylus Scan 2500) w/ my Windows XP
> laptop
> for almost 3 years and have never had a problem until 2 weeks ago.
> Whenever
> I try to print, the application freezes up. I've also had problems with
> certain programs that need to access the internet for updates (e.g.,
> AntiSpyware) getting frozen as well. I'm not a computer expert but I'm
> wondering if the fact that my printer does not have an XP driver might be
> causing the problem. Is it possible that the non-compatible driver is
> causing problems now, years later? Or might something else be causing
> these
> issues? I uninstalled the printer, but now the computer won't let me
> reinstall it (I thought that maybe a driver was corrupted). Any
> suggestions?
> Epson doesn't have an XP compatible driver for this printer. Thanks!
A Windows 2000 driver might work. Another reason is that there is
insufficient space to create the spool file. You should see if executing
the disk clean feature doesn't help.
Jim

Jim,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have been using the WIN2000 driver for the
past 2-3 years, but just now, for some reason, I'm having these problems. It
unfortunately is not a disk space issue either (I tried cleaning the disk
just to be sure though and it still doesn't work). It seems like a more
complicated issue that has just surfaced and has made my computer rather
unstable.