[SOLVED] Hunting for a monitor. Here is what I want

AllisonKush

Prominent
Dec 1, 2021
Hello everyone! So I am on the hunt for a....32 inch, ultrawide, deep curved screen, 1080p, g sync, 4ms or less monitor for no more than $700. Any tips? Every one I find people tell me one thing or another thing about it is trash. I only need 1080p as I don't game above that.

Solution
I used one that was 720 and I really liked it. So I was assuming 1080 would be even better. What would you recommend? I was looking at the G5, which is not 1080p, and was thinking about it. Then I was told it is kind of trash, which is odd as it is Samsung.
The G5 looks fairly typical for a VA panel but comes with a terrible stand.

Being 1440p ultra wide it will need a top level gpu to push high FPS on more demanding games. Going for a 1440p ultra wide instead of 1080p ultra wide is a big jump in gpu load so be sure your gpu is up to it.

I’d recommend going through Hardware Unboxed monitor reviews. They do about the best reviews around and compare in detail to other models. Here for the G5

View...

AllisonKush

Prominent
Dec 1, 2021
Have you tried a 32” 1080p monitor? Personally I don’t like 1080p at 27” let alone 32”. Although at 27” 1080p is tolerable for video and games, but really don’t like it for text or anything with sharp detail.
I used one that was 720 and I really liked it. So I was assuming 1080 would be even better. What would you recommend? I was looking at the G5, which is not 1080p, and was thinking about it. Then I was told it is kind of trash, which is odd as it is Samsung.

The G5 looks fairly typical for a VA panel but comes with a terrible stand.

Being 1440p ultra wide it will need a top level gpu to push high FPS on more demanding games. Going for a 1440p ultra wide instead of 1080p ultra wide is a big jump in gpu load so be sure your gpu is up to it.

I’d recommend going through Hardware Unboxed monitor reviews. They do about the best reviews around and compare in detail to other models. Here for the G5

View: https://youtu.be/xNIzqm5t6o0

Solution
Best to go to a store and see some options in person.

Consider buying a bigger/higher resolution monitor up front.
You can always run it at a lower resolution if you want or need to.
Bust your budget if need be.
A monitor is a long term purchase.
In time, you may want to upgrade your graphics card or pc.

One spec to look at is the viewing angle.
It becomes more important as the monitor gets larger.
IPS panels will have a better image. They do best with strategy and MMO type games.
VA panels will have higher refresh rates. They do better with fast action games such as shooters or racing games.

Up to perhaps 35" a curve is not needed. Particularly if your panel has a good 178/178 viewing angle.

Lastly, keep your old monitor as a side monitor for email or performance monitors.

Last edited: