G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

An icon hurl.exe has appeared on my desktop. It seems to have come while my
son was downloading from a P2P programme.

I have tried to delete it , even after a normal restart and a restart in
safe mode. But, it will not allow deletion as a message appears saying that
it is in use by another program.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Andrew
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

See http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-16046 and/or
http://www.computing.net/windows95/wwwboard/forum/165981.html

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/

When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
(http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. **Post
your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
for expert analysis, not here.**

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP


Andrew Wood wrote:
> An icon hurl.exe has appeared on my desktop. It seems to have come while
> my son was downloading from a P2P programme.
>
> I have tried to delete it , even after a normal restart and a restart in
> safe mode. But, it will not allow deletion as a message appears saying
> that it is in use by another program.
>
> Any advice would be much appreciated
>
> Thanks
>
> Andrew
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Install this program called unlocker after it is installed then right click
the file or folder and select Unlocker. If the file or folder is locked then
a window will appear with a list of processes locking the file or folder.
Select the locks and click Unlock and you are done.
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/unlocker171.exe If that does not work then
try Killbox http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/killbox.zip


--


The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com



"Andrew Wood" <ajksh@msn.com> wrote in message
news:%232eivoxsFHA.3568@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> An icon hurl.exe has appeared on my desktop. It seems to have come while
> my son was downloading from a P2P programme.
>
> I have tried to delete it , even after a normal restart and a restart in
> safe mode. But, it will not allow deletion as a message appears saying
> that it is in use by another program.
>
> Any advice would be much appreciated
>
> Thanks
>
> Andrew
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Andrew, *never* download anything (especially an executable) from a site you
know nothing about or which hasn't been recommended by several people you
know you can trust 100%.

Most responsible posters here will direct you to a *page* where you can
download something, not point you to the download file itself.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

pcbutts1 wrote:
> Install this program called unlocker after it is installed then right
> click the file or folder and select Unlocker. If the file or folder is
> locked then a window will appear with a list of processes locking the
> file or folder. Select the locks and click Unlock and you are done.
> http://www.pcbutts1.com/MUNGE/unlocker171.exe If that does not work
> then try Killbox http://www.pcbutts1.com/MUNGE/killbox.zip
>
> "Andrew Wood" <ajksh@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:%232eivoxsFHA.3568@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > An icon hurl.exe has appeared on my desktop. It seems to have come while
> > my son was downloading from a P2P programme.
> >
> > I have tried to delete it , even after a normal restart and a restart in
> > safe mode. But, it will not allow deletion as a message appears saying
> > that it is in use by another program.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

UNLOCKER 1.7.1 BY CEDRICK 'NITCH' COLLOMB
http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Unlocker 1.7.1
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Unlocker.shtml

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:pBnTe.1228$LZ6.853@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net,
pcbutts1 <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> hunted and pecked:
> Install this program called unlocker after it is installed then right
> click the file or folder and select Unlocker. If the file or folder is
> locked then a window will appear with a list of processes locking the
> file or folder. Select the locks and click Unlock and you are done.
> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/unlocker171.exe If that does not work
> then try Killbox http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/killbox.zip
>
>
> --
>
>
> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
>
>
>
> "Andrew Wood" <ajksh@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:%232eivoxsFHA.3568@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> An icon hurl.exe has appeared on my desktop. It seems to have come while
>> my son was downloading from a P2P programme.
>>
>> I have tried to delete it , even after a normal restart and a restart in
>> safe mode. But, it will not allow deletion as a message appears saying
>> that it is in use by another program.
>>
>> Any advice would be much appreciated
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Andrew
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Oops, forgot one.

KillBox.exe is from Option^Explicit Software.

Available from here...

Bleeping Computer Downloads: Pocket KillBox
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/killbox.php

Also has Usage Information.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eRfD0$ysFHA.372@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
Wesley Vogel <123WVogel955@comcast.net> hunted and pecked:
> UNLOCKER 1.7.1 BY CEDRICK 'NITCH' COLLOMB
> http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
>
> Unlocker 1.7.1
> http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Unlocker.shtml
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:pBnTe.1228$LZ6.853@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net,
> pcbutts1 <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Install this program called unlocker after it is installed then right
>> click the file or folder and select Unlocker. If the file or folder is
>> locked then a window will appear with a list of processes locking the
>> file or folder. Select the locks and click Unlock and you are done.
>> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/unlocker171.exe If that does not work
>> then try Killbox http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/killbox.zip
>>
>>
>> --
>>
>>
>> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
>> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
>> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
>> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
>>
>>
>>
>> "Andrew Wood" <ajksh@msn.com> wrote in message
>> news:%232eivoxsFHA.3568@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> An icon hurl.exe has appeared on my desktop. It seems to have come while
>>> my son was downloading from a P2P programme.
>>>
>>> I have tried to delete it , even after a normal restart and a restart in
>>> safe mode. But, it will not allow deletion as a message appears saying
>>> that it is in use by another program.
>>>
>>> Any advice would be much appreciated
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Andrew
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Stop defaming me with your lies. Stop harassing me.

--


The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com



"PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:%2396O%23vysFHA.908@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Andrew, *never* download anything (especially an executable) from a site
> you know nothing about or which hasn't been recommended by several people
> you know you can trust 100%.
>
> Most responsible posters here will direct you to a *page* where you can
> download something, not point you to the download file itself.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
>
> pcbutts1 wrote:
>> Install this program called unlocker after it is installed then right
>> click the file or folder and select Unlocker. If the file or folder is
>> locked then a window will appear with a list of processes locking the
>> file or folder. Select the locks and click Unlock and you are done.
>> http://www.pcbutts1.com/MUNGE/unlocker171.exe If that does not work
>> then try Killbox http://www.pcbutts1.com/MUNGE/killbox.zip
>>
>> "Andrew Wood" <ajksh@msn.com> wrote in message
>> news:%232eivoxsFHA.3568@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> > An icon hurl.exe has appeared on my desktop. It seems to have come
>> > while
>> > my son was downloading from a P2P programme.
>> >
>> > I have tried to delete it , even after a normal restart and a restart
>> > in
>> > safe mode. But, it will not allow deletion as a message appears saying
>> > that it is in use by another program.
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Don't flatter yourself.

That is not defaming nor harassing, simply very good computer advice, and I
agree with it wholeheartedly, as most reasonable people would.


Don Burnette



pcbutts1 wrote:
> Stop defaming me with your lies. Stop harassing me.
>
>
> "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%2396O%23vysFHA.908@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Andrew, *never* download anything (especially an executable) from a
>> site you know nothing about or which hasn't been recommended by
>> several people you know you can trust 100%.
>>
>> Most responsible posters here will direct you to a *page* where you
>> can download something, not point you to the download file itself.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
>>
>> pcbutts1 wrote:
>>> Install this program called unlocker after it is installed then
>>> right click the file or folder and select Unlocker. If the file or
>>> folder is locked then a window will appear with a list of processes
>>> locking the file or folder. Select the locks and click Unlock and
>>> you are done. http://www.pcbutts1.com/MUNGE/unlocker171.exe If that
>>> does not work then try Killbox
>>> http://www.pcbutts1.com/MUNGE/killbox.zip "Andrew Wood" <ajksh@msn.com>
>>> wrote in message
>>> news:%232eivoxsFHA.3568@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>>> An icon hurl.exe has appeared on my desktop. It seems to have come
>>>> while
>>>> my son was downloading from a P2P programme.
>>>>
>>>> I have tried to delete it , even after a normal restart and a
>>>> restart in
>>>> safe mode. But, it will not allow deletion as a message appears
>>>> saying that it is in use by another program.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Thanks for the promo although it was not necessary.

--


The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com



"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:eRfD0$ysFHA.372@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> UNLOCKER 1.7.1 BY CEDRICK 'NITCH' COLLOMB
> http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
>
> Unlocker 1.7.1
> http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Unlocker.shtml
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:pBnTe.1228$LZ6.853@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net,
> pcbutts1 <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Install this program called unlocker after it is installed then right
>> click the file or folder and select Unlocker. If the file or folder is
>> locked then a window will appear with a list of processes locking the
>> file or folder. Select the locks and click Unlock and you are done.
>> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/unlocker171.exe If that does not work
>> then try Killbox http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/killbox.zip
>>
>>
>> --
>>
>>
>> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
>> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
>> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
>> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
>>
>>
>>
>> "Andrew Wood" <ajksh@msn.com> wrote in message
>> news:%232eivoxsFHA.3568@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> An icon hurl.exe has appeared on my desktop. It seems to have come while
>>> my son was downloading from a P2P programme.
>>>
>>> I have tried to delete it , even after a normal restart and a restart in
>>> safe mode. But, it will not allow deletion as a message appears saying
>>> that it is in use by another program.
>>>
>>> Any advice would be much appreciated
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Andrew
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I had the same problem, came here via a bit of googling to find the
answer and the unlocker theory is almost right; trouble is the file is
actually being used by the explorer process itself (this is the rather
important system process that actually controls your taskbar, desktop
icons etc) - so stopping that process means you can't delete the file
in the normal windows way as it kinda necessary to see the file's icon
to delete it...

However, the way around this is to first open up a dos window (command
prompt or 'cmd' in from start menu - run) and then also the task
manager (you can get to it by doing ctrl-alt-del).
OK, once you've got both these program running, go to the process list
tab in the task manager and kill the explorer process (the taskbar your
icons, and any explorer windows you had open will disappear, leaving
just the dos prompt window and the task manager windows, this is going
to be only temporary - don't worry - well any file explorer windows
won't come back, i think, but everything else will).
Now, in the dos prompt, go to the directory the hurl.exe file is in
(mine was on the desktop - so in XP this was c:\documents and
settings\username\desktop).. hmm, i better have a quick aside about the
dos command 'cd' for the newbies, how got lost on that last bit...

if you don't know how to get to that directory- this being the newusers
forum I guess you might not - you type the command 'cd' followed by the
name of the directory to jump to (your current one is shown to the left
of where you'll type the commands) i.e. if I was in the root directory
(get there typing 'cd \') I'd type 'cd c:\documents and
settings\myusername\desktop'. (if you don't know your username, then
look at the 'c:\documents and settings' folder in explorer firsty -
yours will be the same as one of the direcory names in there...

Ok, within the dos window your now your in the same directory as the
hurl file, type 'del hurl.exe' to delete it- hooray, but we need to get
back to normal... Type 'explorer' in the dos window and the explorer
process will start back up again (why we needed the dos promt)
everything will be back as it was except that annoying hurl.exe file
will be gone...