HW moniter: What is TMPIN1 and why is it so hot?

Stephen Crocetti

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013
(These temps are recorded after playing dayz for about 2 hours so things are a bit hotter than normal)

this is all degrees Celsius

TMPIN0: 57
TMPIN1: 103
TMPIN2 33

and my cpu (fx8120) is at 53

so what is TMPIN1 and should i be worried about it running that hot?

Motherboards have temperature sensors built into them at various points. TMPIN0 = Temperature Input 0.
There also sensors inside the CPU and you can get readings from the individual cores.

Exactly where each sensor is depends on the manufacturer. As far as I know
TEMPIN0 is on the motherboard at the CPU socket.
TEMPIN1 is on the motherboard at the Voltage Regulators MOSFET
TEMPIN2 is on the motherboard around the NorthBridge

Individual motherboard manufacturers may organize things differently and/or have more of different sensors.

As to why, if it is correct, what motherboard/CPU combination are you using and is it overclcocked and what CPU cooler do you have?

Woody1999

Admirable
It's probably a sensor malfunction as said by warhead0, but it might be an actual problem and I think I know why.

If you are using a 760G chipset motherboard with your FX-8150, the heatsinks get EXTREMELY hot. The 8 core processors from AMD have a high TDP that the 760G chipset can't cope with, and some cases have shown the board actually setting on fire under heavy overclocks.

The voltage regulators are the main culprits of this issue, so I would watch out.

Woody

I was thinking along those lines,

Woody1999

Admirable
My friend sent me a link to his proposed build the other day, with - get this - an FX-9590 and a GA-78LMT-USB3. Luckily I managed to stop him before he set fire to his desk.

He seemed to think that good motherboards were a waste of money and cores and speed meant everything in a processor. I managed to redirect him to 4790K despite his protests saying "4 cores isn't enough".

Woody

Woody1999

Admirable
Actually I'd love to build around the FX-9590 it takes so much hate for what it is, but I'm pretty sure that with a good motherboard (Extreme9 with 12+2 power phase - I'm looking at you) and some custom loop water cooling it could prove to be an absolute beast. Might even be able to squeeze a few more MHz out of it.

Woody

Stephen Crocetti

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013

Cpu is an fx8120 and the motherboard is a msi 760GM-P34 and colling is a corsair h50 closed loop. it was overclocked in the past but the temps where way too high so i put it back to stock

Stephen Crocetti

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013

yeah its a 760G... love the idea of my pc catching on fire :D think i should hold out untill september (birthday) to upgrade both my motherboard and my cpu, or do you think i should quickly get a better mobo thats can handle my oven of a cpu before my pc explodes?