Question HWMonitor shows 120C+ and burnt smell

Michael Valen

Honorable
Sep 2, 2014
I've checked on Reddit r/techsupport, but the only answer I got was to check the whole computer. I've checked my computer for any burnt marks, imploding and so on. Didn't find anything out of the ordinary at all. Currently finished with cleaning the computer and carefully cleaning the PSU inside and out with 'aircan'.

To the problem, I thought it was overheating at first, but HWMonitor only had that TMPin4 to 120C+. And from other forums (LTT) that's a bug or defect sensor.

Extra information. It started some days ago, haven't been using the computer since. Cleaned everything there is to clean. Checked every corner there is to check. The computer doesn't turn off when on. But the fans go like crazy loud under no stress. BIOS doesn't give any notable hints.

780TI
Asus Z87

I've checked on Reddit r/techsupport, but the only answer I got was to check the whole computer. I've checked my computer for any burnt marks, imploding and so on. Didn't find anything out of the ordinary at all. Currently finished with cleaning the computer and carefully cleaning the PSU inside and out with 'aircan'.

To the problem, I thought it was overheating at first, but HWMonitor only had that TMPin4 to 120C+. And from other forums (LTT) that's a bug or defect sensor.

Extra information. It started some days ago, haven't been using the computer since. Cleaned everything there is to clean. Checked every corner there is to check. The computer doesn't turn off when on. But the fans go like crazy loud under no stress. BIOS doesn't give any notable hints.

780TI
Asus Z87
have you checked the voltage out pouts of your psu? it could be failing and over volting somewhere

Michael Valen

Honorable
Sep 2, 2014
have you checked the voltage out pouts of your psu? it could be failing and over volting somewhere
I found out the problem, the only problem is how to fix it. I'll give you a short summary. Because of the faulty sensor, the CPU fan goes at a max rate all the time and is currently the one thing that smells burnt. Problem is that I can't seem to regulate the speed (either with normal fan control/voltage).

TRENDING THREADS