HX1000W psu (original blue unit)

I have a question about what anyone thinks about reusing an old Corsair HX1000W psu (its the original unit from years ago) in a newer system build.

Hopefully this link works:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139007

I had 0 issues with it while in use but I also know newer platforms may not play well with older psus as I still have (but should toss) an old Antec 1200 watt psu that seemed to give issues with the Intel x99 platform from 3 years ago.

Toss or try the corsair psu? Its a VERY nice unit and maybe I could use it in an older rig I still have lying around thats not currently running.

I plan to build a Ryzen 2 apu media system in the near future and was considering using this psu to keep from buying a new one.

Thanks!

Solution
Eh, that TX is not anywhere near as good as the current TX series units. Plus, it was released in 2007 and I believe production on that specific iteration stopped in 2010 or 2011. I could be wrong, as there are still some of these being sold, but I think they are old unsold inventory. If that IS the unit I believe it to be (And Corsair is notoriously bad about re-using part numbers even after completely updating a design) then it is group regulated and has crossloading issues.

Still, any of these were probably very good for their time, and so long as you remember to disable the C6 and C7 states when using them they are probably ok. At least, until they aren't. LOL.
I am not aware of any incompatibility issues with Ryzen like there are with Haswell and newer Intel systems regarding the C6/7 states, so that shouldn't be a problem AS LONG AS the unit IS in good operational shape.

You need to consider as well that it's not just use that ages power supplies. Capacitors age even when sitting unused, so there is every chance of the unit having a problem if it has sat unused for a long period of time. And there is just as much chance that there is nothing wrong with it if high quality caps were used in both the primary and secondary.

I guess it really depends on what kind of issues you were experiencing and if you had disabled the C6/C7 states when you used it with that X99 system, which is what needs to be done if you use a non-Haswell/newer compliant unit with a Haswell or newer system.

Better would be to simply use a newer power supply that has support for all current C states, has DC-DC conversion and is not group regulated. Better doesn't always equal convenient or even possible though in some cases, so you may have to do what you have to do but just be aware and pay close attention to anything that seems, off.

Thanks for the quick response. I had the feeling that would be the case. I may give it a try after testing with a tester to ensure the proper wattages are still there. It is best to match new with new to eliminate any issues so I may put it to use with an old Q6600 set up overclocked to 3.6ghz and utilize it as a server or spare pc. I feel that's the safest bet.

Thanks again for your time.

No problem.

As far as the tester goes, that's a good baseline check, but it certainly won't tell you what the system does under a real world load, or under load for a sustained period of time. Often, faulty or failing caps WILL work initially, or for a period of time, but will then begin showing signs of failure once they've had a chance to warm up or have been through enough cycles. As I said, your own insights and paying attention to anything that seems abnormal might be your best bet AFTER checking with the tester.

wuTmIJ3.jpg
[/url][/img]

After running for 10 minutes the power seems stable. I guess thats a good start. Will see how it goes in the old rig. :bounce:

Yep, those numbers seem pretty good. It's promising, but time will tell. I suspect if it never had issues previously and it's got good readings currently, it may be fine. A lot also depends on how much higher than what is needed the unit's capacity is, and how hard it was ridden in the past.

I agree. The wattage needed is maybe half if that so it wouldn't be under heavy load. Believe or not, I just remembered that I have the following psu in storage as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CMPSU-750TX-750-Watt-Certified-compatible/dp/B000X2677A

The psu tester is reading very stable too so it looks like I may use this one instead for the media rig. First signs of any issues and its coming right out, lol. I have a pretty good feeling about it tbh. The Antec 1200 watt psu I had issues with was probably less reliable than these two Corsair units anyway.

The 750 watter was used in my previous media center rig for maybe a couple of years. The 1000 watter was used to run 3x 8800GTX ACS3 cards and a Q6600 cpu and a few hard drives That was maybe a couple of years at most.

Again, thanks for your input on this, it's been very helpful!

Eh, that TX is not anywhere near as good as the current TX series units. Plus, it was released in 2007 and I believe production on that specific iteration stopped in 2010 or 2011. I could be wrong, as there are still some of these being sold, but I think they are old unsold inventory. If that IS the unit I believe it to be (And Corsair is notoriously bad about re-using part numbers even after completely updating a design) then it is group regulated and has crossloading issues.

Still, any of these were probably very good for their time, and so long as you remember to disable the C6 and C7 states when using them they are probably ok. At least, until they aren't. LOL.

Solution