[SOLVED] HX850i Coil Whine right from the start.

May 16, 2020
Hi there,

I've been building a new PC and I seem to be unlucky when it comes to PSUs. Initially, I ordered RM750X which died after just 10 minutes of use in Bios. So, I've been using my 10-year-old 850W Antec PSU for 2 days while I waited for a new PSU to arrive. No issues on Antec, very stable and quiet.

As for the replacement, I opted for HX850i, it was a little pricey but I thought I rather have something good to power up my gear since RM750X died very quickly. So, HX850i comes, I plug it in to see if it works, it works, no issues after 20 minutes. It was making a high-pitched, cricket-like noise from the moment I turned my PC on, but I thought nothing of it. I've decided to tidy up my cables and finally close off my tower.

But now the noise is quickly becoming annoying, it's making it regardless of how much load it's under. From what I understand, the phenomenon is called 'coil whine' and there isn't much that can be done about it? I bought it off of Amazon, I can return it, but they got no stock for replacement.

I've never had PSU that would make such noise, so it's quite new to me. It's quite annoying and I'd like to get something quiet and good. But before I opt for another corsair PSU, I just wanted to ask what are your recommendations. Is it common for HXi models to have coil whine? Should I go for HX1000i?

I'm using single RTX 2070 super and Ryzen 3950x.

Thanks in advance.