Hybrid question part 2

freshbuilder

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Okay so I've read that you can do a hybrid setup by putting an SSD and a normal HDD in a RAID configuration (not sure which one since I am a bit of a noob and new to this desktop building thing) since I read that this is how you can get the most out of Intel's SRT.

My question is if the size of the SSD actually matters, or as long as its a quick SSD then size wouldn't really matter? BTW how do I measure and SSD's performance, I mean if an HDD's performance can be measured or quantified through rpm and cache what about SSDs?

BTW I'm currently torn between a 32gb Patriot Torqx Sata 2 SSD and a 40gb Corsair F40 Force series SSD.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
What you are talking about SRT is not a raid, it's ssd caching
space and speed matter most, 20gb is weak, 60gb is good. (more is better but then it becomes better to just get one for a boot drive and do it yourself managing software)
The 40gb corsair is what i would get but if you can manage a 60gb vertex II or III would be best for price/performance.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Using as a cache will wear it out faster since it has a certain number of write cycles (reads are fine) using as a cache i'd expect you may run into problems in 5 years or 3 if you are very strenuous.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
That just means you put the disk controller in raid mode instead of IDE/AHCI/SATA your bios will probably see it as raid, but under windows, the program will not save to the SSD only use it as a cache for reads (essentially a huge amount of ram)

SSDs can be quantified through benchmarks, but it's hardly worth doing. All are close to equally fast, and you should choose by reliability and price.

SSD caching doesn't work that well, but it's the best way to speed yourself up if you don't have a lot of money to spend on a decent boot drive (I think 90gb+ is the only size worth getting; anything much less requires too much management).