Hydravision+VGA Splitter?

Starion15

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2003
Hello,

I have a little question. (Duh).

I have a Radeon 8500(nonLE) and I want to use a dual monitor setup. No real reason, other than my friend has one and it looks real cool/is pretty useful. So I want to use a product similiar to <A HREF="http://www.cablewholesale.com/specs/10h1-27708.htm" target="_new">this</A>. He has his setup so that his "normal" monitor and his flatscreen are on a different plugin on the card (of course). So I want to know if I can split it using a vga splitter and use Hydravision, or if I'm outta luck.

If not, are there any adapters out there that I can use so that I can plugin my "normal" large monitor into the flatscreen plug to use the hydravision? Then I could plugin my other normal monitor into the normal plug.

Thanks for the help. :)

IF you use the splitter you linked to it won't give you hydravision, just two monitors with the same picture on them.

The only way for you to do it would be to use a DVI to VGA (DB15) adapter, and use your 'flatscreen' plug as you call it.

A splitter simply allows you to mirror the image, it doesn't give you 2 desktops. This is useful for presentations and such, but doesn't let you put different desktops on each monitor which I assume is what you're looking for.
The DVI-VGA adapter is just $5US from ATI's site (accesories).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Starion15

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2003
Will HydraVision work with onboard video plugins? That would make things a lot easier. :)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Starion15 on 06/29/03 00:19 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Sorry been busy.

Actually it WILL work with onboard but ONLY if you have a PCI card video card. Having an AGP card in the AGP card slot disables the onboard graphics (except in the upcoming ATI board). So you can only use onboard with Hydravision with a PCI card. Makes more sense to simply get a cheaper AGP card. Like the R7500 or R9000/9100 for simply dual monitor hydravision support. A GF4ti or GF3ti wouldn't be bad either (although at slightly less picture quality), and for once I'll recommend an FX5200 (purely for application [not gaming] purposes]. And DEFINITELY MATROX, Matrox is #1 for multi-head/moniotr support.
Considering these are your options Any AGP based card (with 2+ connectors) will give you better Hydra-vision/dual monitor support than crummy on-board + crummy PCI, and will also make more effecient use of your resources, like not taking from your system memory, and using the AGP bus , instead of also populating another PCI slot. IMO

But don't you already have an R8500? That should work GREAT! And no you can't use both to get triple monitor support.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Starion15

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2003
Hmm, so, if I plugin my old PCI Rage Fury, that'll work right (I had forgotten that I even had it) Yea, I have the 8500, but both my monitors are crts, and the card only has one plugin for those. Plus the s-video and DVI of course.

So now, I guess I'll try plugin on the ol PCI card, and see what happens.

Thanks for all the help. :D

It's a $5US adapter (or did you mean Canadian funds?), and yes that would be the best idea (less hassle) although you could also go with the 8500 w/ the Rage. But I'd stick with the 1 card, easier.

Starion15

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2003
Canadian funds? Pfft, wouldnt touch the stuff. . .j/k :)

But the adapter is $5 from the ATI site. . .plus $10 just to ship the thing, so I was going to get it online from another site. $8 for the adapter, free shipping. :D