News Hygon 8-core Chinese CPU matches Zen 2 multi-threaded performance in Geekbench

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
Still fairly weak performance per core. Hasswell had about equal performance in single core. Slap 2 more cores on Hasswell and it likely meets the multi core score. That means these processors are about 10 years behind still in terms of general performance per core.

Reactions: NinoPino

ThomasKinsley

Prominent
Oct 4, 2023
Seems they used more RAM to get that benchmark, so it's not going to run as fast with only 8GB of RAM. But since it's intended for office suite, email and some light internet usage with privacy, it is more than enough.

I'm also curious about the OS. Judging from the image below, "KOS" must be Kylin Operating System, and I'm guessing it's not the Open or Ubuntu flavors either. I'm not up to date on their software as I am on their hardware. How does it stack up to regular Ubuntu or even Deepin?

KPmefJKiQFTw9hcEfqe2CD-1200-80.png.webp

Reactions: NinoPino

Pierce2623

Upstanding
Dec 3, 2023
Since this is Geekbench, they probably used ddr5 to give it a higher score than it really deserved in comparison to ddr4 platforms, since Geekbench scales unreasonably well on RAM frequency.

Reactions: usertests

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
fast enough for basic office work. not very exciting but nothing wrong with that.
If I'm not mistaken, Hygon CPUs are x86 compatible, no translation needed. These scores might as well be compared to a 1600X which gets similar multi-threaded scores and single-threaded in between the Hygon and Ryzen 5 3500. This could be enough for many games to run at 30-60 FPS.

https://browser.geekbench.com/search?utf8=✓&q=Ryzen+1600X

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
I seem to recall a joint venture between amd and hygon where amd sold an x86 license and zen 1 plan so that hygon could manufacture a home grown zen 1 counterpart. If I'm remembering that correctly, that means it took 8+ years for hygon to progress from zen 1 to zen 2 without amd's help.

Reactions: peachpuff