Info Hynix CJR is better than Micron Rev E especially on Ryzen platforms!

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
I have recently bought Micron Rev E in hopes of achieving 4000+ with 2000+ on FCLK in my 5600X.

My processor with the Gigabyte 11d bios was only able to go to 1900 on FCLK for now. Do not update to 11g bios it does not support even 1900 FCLK.

First with the Micron Rev E which is Crucial Ballistix 3000CL15, I overclocked it to 3800Mhz with loose timings without any hassle but when I started tightening the timings I had to reset CMOS like 15 to 20 times to verify each setting and the most stable setting I got from it was 3800 @ 16-19-16-16-38 with 1.45v+. Micron is very temperature sensitive and I booted with 3800 cl14 but spewed errors and was not even benchmark stable.

After a day of testing with Micron switched to Hynix CJR kit which is G.Skill Sniper X 3600C19, just copy pasted the timings given in an old reddit post which was tested on 2700x. It worked perfectly without any changes to be required and it did not failed to boot a single time with the tightest timings given in the post. No errors and that too achieved at 1.42v with timings 16-19-16-20-28, The primary timings are loose but it has a more tighter TRFC hence a latency of 57.5 ns compared to Micron's 59~60 ns. The difference seems to be small but the tightening process on Micron die is very troublesome.

So I think Hynix CJR's are far better compared to Micron Rev E when comparing them at clocks under 4000.

Reactions: Quanticriver

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Thanks for your result, but of course the sample size is quite small.

Sample size does not matter here as these are how the memory IC's behave, confirmed by memory overclockers like buildzoid.
Micron Rev E cannot have tighter timings on the tRC and tRFC which affects the latency but they are capable of reaching higher speeds.
Hynix CJR can go tighter on the tRC and tRFC when compared to Micron but are not capable of reaching stable higher speeds over 4000Mhz.

So due to the performance penalty on higher speeds in Ryzen, Hynix CJR/DJR are generally better compared to Micron Rev E. Samsung B die is on a different league.

UPDATE: Updated my Gigabyte BIOS to latest BETA f11j and now FCLK can go to 1967 and running CJR kit at 3933Cl16 stable. FCLK at 2000 causes boot loops, hope future updates will fix it.

Aug 23, 2020
Sample size does not matter here as these are how the memory IC's behave, confirmed by memory overclockers like buildzoid.
Micron Rev E cannot have tighter timings on the tRC and tRFC which affects the latency but they are capable of reaching higher speeds.
Hynix CJR can go tighter on the tRC and tRFC when compared to Micron but are not capable of reaching stable higher speeds over 4000Mhz.

So due to the performance penalty on higher speeds in Ryzen, Hynix CJR/DJR are generally better compared to Micron Rev E. Samsung B die is on a different league.

UPDATE: Updated my Gigabyte BIOS to latest BETA f11j and now FCLK can go to 1967 and running CJR kit at 3933Cl16 stable. FCLK at 2000 causes boot loops, hope future updates will fix it.
I am between getting a Hynix DJR or Micron E Die kit for the same price. I have a Ryzen 5 3600 that can do 1900 FCLK. Which one should I pick?