[SOLVED] Hyper 212 Evo for Intel i5-9600k

Jan 7, 2019
I don't really plan on overclocking but i need a fan for my i5-9600k. Some people said the 212 evo was not sufficient enough. Will this fan be ok for playing games for hours on end? And as a side note, would this fan be ok for slight overclocking if i decide too. Is the master liquid ML240L liquid cooler a better option? And if i were to get that then i would have no more room for extra case fans so i would have one rear fan, one top fan, and either 2 front fans if i go with the 212 evo or just the radiator in the front if i use the masterliquid. Hope this makes sense.

Solution
At stock a 212 shoukd be ok, but would go with a Cryorig H7 or gammaxx 400 instead. If OCing, then a H5, if serious OCing then Cryorig R1, Noctua 14, or dark rock pro

The 9600K is Soldered.

Jun 21, 2015

oh shoot you're right! thanks. I totally forgot they started doing that again! Regardless, water cooling will suit best.

Depends on the AIO really.

It takes an expensive AIO to beat any of the top performing Air Coolers by anything significant.

And the Air Coolers run quieter.

I'd stick to air cooling till you know you want to OC and then look at investing in to a good cooler (possibly case upgrade) at that time.

While a 212 isn't bad, it's a big cooler that is out performed by better, smaller footprint coolers.

Right now the 212 runs about $34 on Newegg, while the better Cryorig H7 is running $38. Completely worth the extra $4. Just avoid the H7 Quad, somehow that version under performs compared to the original single fan version of the H7

The gammaxx 400 that J_E_D_70 mentions is another good cooler and thats coming in at $24-$38 depending on color and LED package you want. It's very small, likely the cheapest option out there and it performs well. The one thing I'm biased against with this cooler is the mounting system; I despise push pin mounts. As a mounting system it's simple but people still mess it up and an improperly mounted cooler isn't going to help anyone.

The Scythe - Mugen 5 Rev. B runs $48 on Amazon and is solid cooler that competes with the more expensive NH-U12S.

If you wanted to go with a high end air cooler then I'd look at the Noctua NH-U12S ($57). It's the same height as the Evo but a much better cooler.

Something that should be mentioned about all of the above coolers vs the 212 Evo, they have no RAM clearance issues. So you won't have to worry about populating all your RAM slots with low profile memory to not deal with adjusting fan height (which increases overall height of the cooler).

Jan 7, 2019

Will the Noctua NH-U12S be good enough for some slight overclocking? Nothing special but just curious. And also im getting a Asus - TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING (WI-FI) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard... Is that mobo even capable of overclocking?

USAFRet

Titan
1. As noted above, you can't (easily) delid that CPU. Nor should you.

2. The 212 series is often recommended, due to brain inertia. They were good, several years ago. There are much better ones today.

3. Liquid cooling - only if you go big and expensive for an AIO, or a full custom loop.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
120mm AIO = 140w = @$70
Cm Hyper212 = 140w = @$35

Almost identical performance curves.

140mm AIO/ thick 2xfan 120mm = 180w = @$90
Cryorig H5 = 180w = @$60

240mm AIO = 250w = @$110
Noctua NH-D14 = 220w = @$70

Almost identical performance curves

280mm AIO = 300w+ = @$120+
Noctua NH-D15S = $250w+ = @$90

The only major difference is in the ability of the larger AIO's to handle higher wattage OC, but that's only wattage, not temp changes.

I'd say it shouldn't be a problem. However if you want to get in to overclocking I'd really recommend reading up on specifics on your board and chip and see what people are using for the levels you want to hit. Both your CPU and your Mobo are built to OC so that's at least taken care of.

Also look at your case and what it can support. You'll need to make sure your cooling gear can fit in your case to begin with.