[SOLVED] Hyper 212 Evo on i5-8400

Shujee

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2013
Hi, quick few questions about replacing my stock cooler. I have an i5-8400 with stock cooler that makes a lot of noise under load. I want to replace it with a better but affordable cooler, e.g. Hyper 212 Evo or Hyper TX3 Evo. Here are a few questions:

1. Do both of these coolers work with i5-8400? My case is NZXT S340 White.
  2. Will these coolers be quiet under load, better than the one Intel supplied?
  3. Do these come with screws, brackets, heatsink etc. needed to install them?
  4. Will I need that "thermal paste" thing when replacing the stock cooler?
  5. Do RAM (I have G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB) or GC (MSI 1060 Gaming X) have anything to do with cooler's clearance?

Thanks.

Solution
Yes. They both fit.
Yes. Almost anything is better than Intel stock cooler.
Yes. Obviously.
4.Will I need that "thermal paste" thing when replacing the stock cooler?
Thermal paste either is pre-applied onto cooler or comes in a tube (in cpu cooler package) and you have to apply it yourself.
5. Do RAM (I have G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB) or GC (MSI 1060 Gaming X) have anything to do with cooler's clearance?
Not an issue.
You usually can adjust fan, to get better ram clearance...
Yes. They both fit.
Yes. Almost anything is better than Intel stock cooler.
Yes. Obviously.
4.Will I need that "thermal paste" thing when replacing the stock cooler?
Thermal paste either is pre-applied onto cooler or comes in a tube (in cpu cooler package) and you have to apply it yourself.
Not an issue.
You usually can adjust fan, to get better ram clearance, or
reposition fan to opposite side of the cooler, to not interfere with ram modules.

Solution
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1173768-REG/nzxt_ca_s340w_w1_s340_mid_tower_case.html/specs

It says at the above link that the NZXT case max cooler height is 16.1 cm aka 161 mm.

Amazon says the Hyper 212 is 159 mm tall.

Cooler Master says the Hyper TX3 is 136 mm tall.

So both appear to fit.

2 mm (161 minus 159) is about 1/13 of an inch. Maybe you get a little nervous?

Any currently in stock cooler should by now include necessary hardware to mount, but you need to confirm that after making a tentative choice. Some RAM is tall and can cause issues if the cooler overhangs the RAM slots.

Some Noctuas are designed to NOT overhang the RAM slots, so RAM height would not be a factor. I don't specifically know about your Cooler Master and RAM choices.

Offhand, I'd guess they are quieter than stock Intel under a good load, but probably not "quiet" by most definitions. I have no knowledge of their fans. AT 1500 rpm, the fan may be quite audible. If you want "quiet", probably look elsewhere.

Noctua is a good source of "quiet" coolers and they include a tube of thermal paste......which you WILL need.

What is the maximum to spend on a cooler?