Question HYPER 212 EVO with dell xps 420 [also called-435t/9000] LGA1366

cl42

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
hello. i finally got a different motherboard for my dell. before it died i had ordered the 212 evo. i had 3 computers i was trying it on. that was 1 1/2 years ago.i've since lost the instructions. i've got other instructions i found on the cooler master forum.

prob #1
I've been on google,google images,coolermaster forum [if you call it that],amazon,new egg,micro center,tomshardware and reddit for 2 days trying to see how it's supposed to be mounted on a 1366 board. after wrestling with cooler on top of the board for 6 hrs, i had to mount it sideways, the little pin just wouldnt line up the other way.

prob#2
my pc case has a black rubber? gasket ? screwed to the case. it [and backplate from evo] raises my motherboard up so that the I/O shield holes Do Not lineup. am i supposed to remove the black factory thing since the backplate of the cpu cooler is there ? i would think the black gasket thing is for grounding purposes ? i can provide pics of what i'm speaking of, just not yet. i dont know correct terminology/parts. i've worked in electronics assembly factories since the 80s. been fixing,repairing computers for 15 years but this is a new trick i don't understand how to do

I have chronic bi-lateral neck/shoulder/arm/hand issues from 3 pinched nerves. i've been at this 6 days.i assembled it just to make sure it would run, then i disassembled to replace crap factory cooler now i'm stuck. my neck is begging me to stop but i cant just lay here looking at my baby in pieces. your time & any advice is appreciated

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the backplate is for the stock cooler that comes with xps 420. you should be able to remove it and then use the backplate for the 212 evo.

i have an xps 420 but never tried an after market cooler. the masive stock config works fine for the cpu and never gave me any issues. it should be compatible with a socket 775 board and once you remove that backplate the right mounting bracket should fit.

i assume you are still using the stock mobo, just got a replacement when the first one died. that's what i am basing my comment on.

Reactions: cl42

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That chunk of plastic can be removed. It's designed for the support of the giant stock heatsink used on the 1366 motherboards because the cpu fans do double duty as exhaust fans. The motherboard standoffs will provide any clearance necessary to line up the i/o shield and deal with grounding issues.

When you say the cooler is 'sideways' do you mean the cooler fan to the left or right of the heatsink or is the cooler fan above/below the heatsink. Normal orientation has the fan on the right--towards the front of the case, so it blows air through the heatsink towards the rear exhaust area.

cl42

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
the backplate is for the stock cooler that comes with xps 420. you should be able to remove it and then use the backplate for the 212 evo.

i have an xps 420 but never tried an after market cooler. the masive stock config works fine for the cpu and never gave me any issues. it should be compatible with a socket 775 board and once you remove that backplate the right mounting bracket should fit.

i assume you are still using the stock mobo, just got a replacement when the first one died. that's what i am basing my comment on.

thank you so much for the help. i had to run my Xps with the side off it the whole time i used it but i believe the seagate 7200rpm hdd that came with it added massive heat. i've never had good luck with seagate, they just run too hot.. i know its not a good $$ decision for such an old pc but to just stream,seed or download i don't need new. yes you are correct i just replaced the OEM board. i was hoping to find asus on ebay but i had found 10 original boards at an ewaste[store is on ebay] place 10 miles from my home. by the time i had $ there was only 1 left so i grabbed it

That chunk of plastic can be removed. It's designed for the support of the giant stock heatsink used on the 1366 motherboards because the cpu fans do double duty as exhaust fans. The motherboard standoffs will provide any clearance necessary to line up the i/o shield and deal with grounding issues.

When you say the cooler is 'sideways' do you mean the cooler fan to the left or right of the heatsink or is the cooler fan above/below the heatsink. Normal orientation has the fan on the right--towards the front of the case, so it blows air through the heatsink towards the rear exhaust area.

thank you for clarifying to remove the rubber/plastic piece. thank you for also clarifying the cooler orientation. that majorly confirmed i'm ok.. the fan IS parallel with the front of the pc. i had set the board down in the case so i wouldn't kick it onto the carpet in the night then it got hung up on something so i couldnt take pics to view from a good angle or show the plastic piece on the case.

case front View: https://i.imgur.com/IXbkZoj.jpg

behind cooler/back of case View: https://i.imgur.com/nUvECcM.jpg

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
as a side note, that is not the mobo in my xps 420. not sure what it comes from, but it is def not the stock mobo i have seen in these machines over the years. it won't be a problem so long as it works, but took me a minute to realize this is not the same one in mine.

i actually have an IDE port and only 4 ram slots and not 6. the pcie slots are not in the same place either.

you can also use that shroud that was on the stock cooler if you wish. it pulls air in that weird front hole in the case and funneled it to the cpu. it will still draw air in but likely won't be as efficient with that shroud gone to funnel some air.

cl42

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
thats surprising about the motherboard but yet , not really. i i got it from my son's friend in 2016. he worked for a moving company and he got given as a tip this 420/435T/9000? , an lga775 dual core [that accepted a quad core cpu and also r3 & r4 alienwares. i got first choice among them. the xps was better equipped than the others.

in all my homework over the years i have found it with 3 different names. even on the dell support site. the orig mobo is an RI0707. stupidly i got greedy 2 1/2 years ago and added RAM to top it out at 24 gb . i forgot about the ECC/NON-ECC thing, didnt even look up the parts the proper way. new RAM came i still never even checked myself. bam. damage done. no one to blame but myself. i'm So glad it didnt fry the PSU as to how expensive they are now and hard to get. i am going to get a new psu eventually but 1 for all those drives is probably going to be $150+

i just noticed @@Karadjgne said about the cooler. i Do have to readjust the cooler. i do have it facing the wrong way damm*t. i fought with that thing for 5-6 hours that bracket would not fit over that little pin. thanks for your help. my pc is on now. yeeha !! i'm not happy with my version of windows tho. i shut down all scans,etc yet it still took out a couple of my cracked apps. i guess i'm not done googling yet!

have a great night