[SOLVED] Hyper 212 in Silverstone RL06 (0.8 mm difference)

Sep 13, 2019
Hello, Im in progress of building my new PC and have a question.
Silverstone says they RL06 case can fit 158mm cpu cooling and I wanted to use Hyper 212 Black what on site it says... 158.8mm. Is that 0.8mm a big deal? Would it fit? Does case specs have some margin?
Thanks,

Solution
Ok.
3600 and 3600X performance is identical, unlike the X versions of the previous generations. It doesn't overclock any better either, so you'd be paying extra for a letter... a freaking LETTER.

There's a limit to what top-down coolers can do, so a tower air cooler or 240/280mm AIO will generally yield better temps.

A 3600 would be better off with an aftermarket cooler. But if you're on a tight budget, or just want to save a little money, the stock cooler is still fine.
Sep 13, 2019
So are there other budget cooling like hyper 212 in this price range? I want to use Ryzen 3600 and OC it to ~4.2 GHz. Or better way is buy 3600x and keep stock?

What about "be quiet! Dark Rock TF"

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So are there other budget cooling like hyper 212 in this price range?
ARCTIC Freezer 34
Deepcool GAMMAXX S40
Deepcool GAMMAXX GT
be quiet! Pure Rock
Thermalright Macho 120 SBM

I want to use Ryzen 3600 and OC it to ~4.2 GHz. Or better way is buy 3600x and keep stock?
Sadly, the Ryzen 3000 cpus are practically overclocked out of the box... there's no headroom left.
Just enable Precision Boost Overdrive + Auto Overclock, and let it do it's thing. Trying to overclock can actually yield worse results.

The AMD stock cooler works pretty darn good at cooling, but some of the more noise sensitive people switch it out anyway because it can get loud under load - I think it's a 3000rpm fan.
I say, roll with the stock cooler and see if you really find it to really be that noisy, and make the judgement from your experience with it.

What about "be quiet! Dark Rock TF"
130mm cooler, but that's not a budget cooler... that's approaching the $100USD mark.

Reactions: lieroxor
Sep 13, 2019
Noise is not a problem for me. So better would be on PBO 3600 with custom cooling or 3600x with stock?
I know that one of PBO points is temp, so I was thining that 3600 with custom cooling will hit better and more stable clocks than stock 3600x on PBO.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok.
3600 and 3600X performance is identical, unlike the X versions of the previous generations. It doesn't overclock any better either, so you'd be paying extra for a letter... a freaking LETTER.

There's a limit to what top-down coolers can do, so a tower air cooler or 240/280mm AIO will generally yield better temps.

A 3600 would be better off with an aftermarket cooler. But if you're on a tight budget, or just want to save a little money, the stock cooler is still fine.

Reactions: lieroxor
Solution
Sep 13, 2019
Thats a thing. So I will pick just 3600 and try it temps on RL06 chassis then look for aftermarket cooler if needed. Also its not worth spending ~50$ more for 3 FPS. I have in plan to buy entire desktop (monitor, desk, keyboard etc. ) in budget so every saving matter. Thanks a lot for clear me things up!

Reactions: Phaaze88