Hyper 212 Plus vs Phanteks PH-TC14PE performance difference

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wicked_sticky

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2015
SO I upgraded my heatsink from a hyper 212 plus, for a PH-TC14PE.

The 212+ cost $25 the PH-TC14PE costs $80.

My CPU is a 4770k at 4.3ghz the 212+ on intel burn test hits 98°C on the PH-TC14PE the max temp drops to 94°C is this a normal performance increase between the two?

If so this is really really disappointing .

Solution
Anything can be defective! This is an old post, replying in case anyone has a similar question down the road. True, a heatsink a chunk or metal,but to properly work the base must be flat/smooth.
Three of the edges of my phantek curved in most of the the fourth edge curved out so only left and right edges touch the cpu. The gap was small but visible when I put on the window sill i.e a low, elongated, (scalene) triangle of light shined though the bottom. Amazon charged $12 less for the blue version I got, which was the last one they had ($77 vs $89 then).

I didnt want to pay $12 more for a non defective version, and I should have to lap a brand new heatsink to make it work as advertised. Im sure the phanteks are great and this one I...

scuzzycard

Honorable

The Phanteks thermal paste is AWESOME. I had it for months without even using it, because I didn't realise how good it was. I would remount the cooler using a TINY amount of the Phanteks stuff, and I guarantee you'll get better temps than you are now.

scuzzycard

Honorable

I think that was just a tiny bit hasty, but I'm glad it worked out for you in the end.

wicked_sticky

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2015
Anything can be defective! This is an old post, replying in case anyone has a similar question down the road. True, a heatsink a chunk or metal,but to properly work the base must be flat/smooth.
Three of the edges of my phantek curved in most of the the fourth edge curved out so only left and right edges touch the cpu. The gap was small but visible when I put on the window sill i.e a low, elongated, (scalene) triangle of light shined though the bottom. Amazon charged $12 less for the blue version I got, which was the last one they had ($77 vs $89 then).

I didnt want to pay $12 more for a non defective version, and I should have to lap a brand new heatsink to make it work as advertised. Im sure the phanteks are great and this one I got was a fluke. The cryorig turned out perfect for my needs.

I got a 800mhz overclock I wanted, bellow 60°C I wanted
Hyper 212+ was $25
PH-TC14PE was $77
H5 Ultimate was $46

This means the H5 gets about 80%* of the Phanteks performance increase but the
Cryorig costs $21 more than the 212
Phantek costs $52 more than the 212

(*compared to the 212 if vs a non defective phantek)

The Cryorig H5 ultimate is really amazing, in my experience heatsink $26-$70 are as good or only slightly better than the hyper 212. Its once you hit the cost of the chunky phanteks and noctunas that you get a big boost. H5 is the first ive seen where the permanency increase is on par with the price increase.

Solution

wicked_sticky

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2015

99.99% of the time youd be absolutely right, its a weird/freakishly rare thing to happen. I just want to dissuade people from thinking Im an idiot who thinks a chunk of aluminum doesnt work... if that was the case the laws of thermodynamics would also be broken and we would all have bigger problems than my heatsink. :ouch:
I got suspicious when I was cleaning off the thernal paste to remount and it felt bumpy. Since nothing is shrink wrapped/sealed, amazon would be none the wiser if someone bought it opened it, tried to lap it, messed up, sent it back saying its in new condition. Then resold. Would also explain why its 20% cheaper than all the other ones and only the one in stock (to this day they haven't gotten more of the blue).

scuzzycard

Honorable

I guess we always run the risk of getting someone else's damaged goods. I'm glad it all worked out :)