[SOLVED] Hyper evo 212 enough for i7-10700KF?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 19, 2021
I recently got a PC, it was prebuilt and with very similar specs and price to what I was thinking of. The thing is that it comes with the hyper evo 212, and I'm not sure it is enough, or if my cpu is having another issue. The cpu kept throttling at 75 - 80 degrees while playing Warzone, which caused some huge fps drops. I tried undervolting and it fixed the throttling but the pc crashed after a couple games, I did just -100 mV, I'm not overclocking either. Should I just go for another cooler or can I fix all those issues in any other way? I have the RTX 3070 and temps on that one are way better.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
it should be enough if it's not past the power limit, make sure you apply a good thermal paste (like gelid gc extreme or acrtic mx4 and mx5) on X pattern, and the fans and the heatfins is clean from dust. A Better cooler should be Noctua NH U12s or U12s redux, both comes with thermal paste and pre applied thermal paste (NT H1, good paste for pc).

If you're only re applying the thermal paste, make sure it's on X pattern (the thermal paste) and apply enough pressure on the mounting.
Any reason why this is happening?
Because something is overheating on your motherboard or your motherboard is not capable of fully powering your CPU when it is unlocked and allowed to run at 190W or beyond.

Using ThrottleStop to clear BD PROCHOT tells the CPU to ignore these throttling messages. It is OK to do that if these error messages are not legit. In your case, they are legit. Your motherboard is legitimately overwhelmed. It is either broken or simply not capable of running your CPU at 190W. Lower your PL1 and PL2 power limits to 160W and see if your motherboard can handle that while running Cinebench.

Aug 19, 2021
Because something is overheating on your motherboard or your motherboard is not capable of fully powering your CPU when it is unlocked and allowed to run at 190W or beyond.

Using ThrottleStop to clear BD PROCHOT tells the CPU to ignore these throttling messages. It is OK to do that if these error messages are not legit. In your case, they are legit. Your motherboard is legitimately overwhelmed. It is either broken or simply not capable of running your CPU at 190W. Lower your PL1 and PL2 power limits to 160W and see if your motherboard can handle that while running Cinebench.
Just did a test lowering the power limits and it worked with these results and a score of 8402, which is pretty low for this CPU. Forgot to clear the MAX values, that was from when I was playing, this time it didn't go higher than 70 but frequencies stayed around 3.4 - 3.5.

View: https://imgur.com/a/Xwlwi3Q

What did you lower the PL1 and PL2 power limits to? Your screenshot shows power limit throttling at 86.5 W so that is killing performance. The CPU is being forced to slow down so it does not exceed whatever power limit you set. Raise the power limit higher for better performance but do not raise it too high or else you will have BD PROCHOT throttling issues.

Aug 19, 2021
What did you lower the PL1 and PL2 power limits to? Your screenshot shows power limit throttling at 86.5 W so that is killing performance. The CPU is being forced to slow down so it does not exceed whatever power limit you set. Raise the power limit higher for better performance but do not raise it too high or else you will have BD PROCHOT throttling issues.
PL1 and PL2 are both set at 160, for some reason it throttles way before reaching that limit.
View: https://imgur.com/a/C11k1p0
Just ran another test and BD PROCHOT got triggered again at around 125 W with the 160 W PL1 and PL2

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021
That is the rated TDP for your CPU. Looks like Biostar put in the bare minimum of quality components to handle that CPU. Shop elsewhere next time.
Yeah it was my bad, didn't know which motherboard the pc had and I read that it didn't really matter that much so went for it, guess I'll just get a new mb instead, thanks for the help.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I was actually just looking at the Dark Rock Pro 4 which is around the same price as the noctua nh-u12s here, it is huge but honestly if it just helps more with temps overall I don't mind the size at all
That is a much better cooler and more like what you need for that processor Dark Rock Pro 4!

A hyper 212 has no chance to cool that processor unless you gimp the crap out of it with power limits. That defeats the purpose of buying that processor.

Aug 19, 2021
Thank you all, seems like I'm going to need to eventually changing the mobo as well since it's triggering BD PROCHOT at low temps and low power but it's also very inconsistent, I'll definitely look into changing the cooler, the deepcool assassin III is sounding like a good option as well.

rakibfahadgts

Reputable
Aug 4, 2018
I've 10600 with hyper 212 Evo red edition (I've the version that comes with two fans one intake one exhaust). CPU fans run between 600 idle-900 rpm when loaded and I get 55-65 ish degree with heavy gaming session. Obviously my CPU isn't overclockable but I use 135 watt option in motherboard. As a result the 65watt CPU runs at 105 watt (verified via MSI afterburner) which isn't that far of 125 watt of 10700k. So the aforementioned temps are with 135 watt power limit not 65. Also the t juncation of 10700k is 100 degree Celsius. You'd get throttling after you reach 100 degrees. I think the issue might be something else. I'd say reset your motherboard and then overclock ram and cpu based on your liking.

CPU runs at 105 watt (verified via MSI afterburner) which isn't that far of 125 watt of 10700k.
105W is a long ways off from the 190W that his 10700K is trying to run at. An overclocked 10700K on a good board can consume 250W.

and then overclock ram and cpu
How? The Biostar motherboard he is using is not capable of running a 10700K at default specs let alone overclocked.

Aug 19, 2021
I've 10600 with hyper 212 Evo red edition (I've the version that comes with two fans one intake one exhaust). CPU fans run between 600 idle-900 rpm when loaded and I get 55-65 ish degree with heavy gaming session. Obviously my CPU isn't overclockable but I use 135 watt option in motherboard. As a result the 65watt CPU runs at 105 watt (verified via MSI afterburner) which isn't that far of 125 watt of 10700k. So the aforementioned temps are with 135 watt power limit not 65. Also the t juncation of 10700k is 100 degree Celsius. You'd get throttling after you reach 100 degrees. I think the issue might be something else. I'd say reset your motherboard and then overclock ram and cpu based on your liking.
The problem is that at 125 watts the frequencies ocilate between 3.8 and 4.1 ghz which is really way lower than it's potential. If it goes over 125 it starts throttling which means a massive fps drop, even if temps are 75° C.

Aug 19, 2021
Update: I talked to the seller and the MoBo broke after trying to update the BIOS with their help, we'll try again tomorrow and see if it's static related but if not they'll replace the MoBo or just give me a new PC, maybe just got unlucky and mine was really defective

rakibfahadgts

Reputable
Aug 4, 2018
105W is a long ways off from the 190W that his 10700K is trying to run at. An overclocked 10700K on a good board can consume 250W.

How? The Biostar motherboard he is using is not capable of running a 10700K at default specs let alone overclocked.
Yes having 200 watt could be the issue. But Intel CPUs don't throttle unless reaches 100 degrees. On the other hand I am not aware of his particular model but if m op is using a z series z490 or z590 he should be capable of at least some sort of overclock no matter how bad the board model is.

Aug 19, 2021
Quick update
I talked to my provider and they they said updating BIOS could help. I tried doing that and the pc stopped giving image, we tried a bunch of stuff with no solution so I'm getting a free mobo replacement. They said it'll be the MSI Z490A PRO. Is this a good mobo for the 10700KF or should I just ask for something better like the ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E? I'm okay with budget stuff as long as it actually works.

Thank you all again for your answers and help