hyper-threading issues

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
couldn't open that link again...

why would a modem not be compatible with a dual cpu setup? Very good modem. So HT has nothing to do with it... it's a dual setup. That company is going to have to design better modems or they'll have serious trouble.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
That company is going to have to design better modems or they'll have serious trouble.
Too late I reckon. That website appears to not exist anymore... ;)

I have no idea how you could design software or hardware that will crash on a dual setup anyway... Sounds like the old <font color=blue>'it's not our fault - your system is to blame' </font color=blue> lame excuse.

[EDIT]
Aaah! a typo in the second link you gave - "tdata" should be "t-data"...
so
<A HREF="http://www.t-data.lu/rubriken/support/html/faq_skystar_2.htm#7" target="_new">Clickomatic for the people</A>

[/EDIT]

---
:smile: :tongue: :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ChipDeath on 06/18/03 12:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Haha OMG kid, dont you have a little voice in your head that says "this is stupid to say, dont say it cause its soo damned stupid and people will resent you for your stupidness"??? Cause Hyper Threading is not a dual CPU setup in any manner or way. Its seen by XP as it is but it isnt. All it is a better ultilizeation of the execution reasources for the Pentium 4 lines 20 stage pipeline. Nothing more nothing less.

Well techically Intel says it can run more than one thread completely independent of the other such as a dual CPU system configuration specs would allow but we wount bother with that. Its too funny laughing at crack head gazzazhs here.

-Jeremy

:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5341387" target="_new">Busting Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:
:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?pcm=1060900" target="_new">Busting More Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:

gazzazhs

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2003
Dear gazzazh

I believe that none of our modem support HT

Please retain all the previous correspondence when replying to this
email.

Best Regards

Michael (14485)
Technical Support
Creative Labs Americas

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Dear Michael,

Ht is Intel new Hypertherading that u find in all the new P4 CPus with
FSB . when i enable Hypertherading the modem will give me a loopback
detected and will not connect, and when i disable Hypertherading the
modem
will work fine.

Thanks a lot

>From: Creative Americas Technical Support
><CLI.support@customercare.creative.com>
>>Subject: Re: CLI - Support Request Form (KMM1138812I30L0KM)
>Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 19:58:20 +0100 (BST)
>
Dear Sir,
>
>What is HT that you are talking about?
>
>Please retain all the previous correspondence when replying to this
>email.
>
>Best Regards
>
>Michael (14485)
>Technical Support
>Creative Labs Americas
>
>Original Message Follows:
>------------------------
>=======================
>
>Subject: CLI - Support Request Form
>Name: gazzazh
>
>Self Description: Advanced PC User
>------------------
>Support Inquiry: I need help with a third-party software application
>Product: Modem Blaster Di5655
>------------------
>Operating System: Windows XP
>Creative Model Number: Di5655
>Computer Brand/Model:
>Processor/CPU: P4 3.06 ghz
>Memory: 1GB RAM DDR 400
>BIOS Type/Revision: AMi 4.1
>System Board/Chipset: MSI 875p NEW , intel 875p
>------------------
>
>Detailed Problem Description:
>dear sir,
>
>when i enable HT i get a loopback detected error whenever
>i try to log on to the net. and when i disable HT my modem
>works fine. Kindly please help. Does this modem have a
>problem working with HT, and if it does, is there a new
>driver to fix this problem. Pleae help. Its very frustrating for me not to use HT .
>
>Thanks
>
>
-

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Note: You shouldnt turn HT off then On, without reistallation first. Different Kernel for HT and non HT.

-Jeremy

:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5341387" target="_new">Busting Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:
:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?pcm=1060900" target="_new">Busting More Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"I believe that none of our modem support HT" - you wrote this yourself, its obvious.

All your base are belong to us.

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Actually, I'd like to interject at this point. (Well, I'd have prefered to have done it sooner, but I only just got around to reading through this thread.) As a software engineer and occasional PC maintanance and hardware tester for a company that sometimes works with some pretty weird $#!7, I've run into problems like this before.

Believe it or not there <i>are</i> drivers out there that will totally crash when run on any sort of a multi-processor Windows. So any dualie system running NT or better, or now with HT-enabled CPUs any modern single-CPU system running NT or better (though it's usually just done on XP because it's the only M$ non-server OS that supports HT correctly) will cause these drivers much grief.

Now, you might think that's stupid. It should never happen, right? Well, you're right. It never <i>should</i> happen. However, sometimes computer programmers are lazy sots. In the cases of drivers like these, the drivers are written under the assumption that they can access the CPU directly without having to first ask the OS <i>which</i> CPU is running their code. Should the driver code end up being processed under an assignment that wasn't hard-coded into the poorly-written drivers, <b>CRASH!</b>

So basically there <i>are</i> some drivers out there that just can't be run under <i>any</i> dualie or HT systems because the drivers themselves are hard-coded to access the processor directly. It's bad coding. These are drivers written by either lazy sots or unskilled monkeys. Take your pick. Either way, it's pretty sorry for a software engineer to have made such assumptions, and it's even worse that the manufacturer of the product which uses these poorly-written drivers doesn't at some point re-write the drivers to run in a multi-processor configuration.

It happens. It's pretty rare, and it's incredibly sad, but it does happen. It is in no way Intel's fault. It does not prove that HT is faulty. It is in no way Micro$oft's fault. It does not prove that M$ can't write a stable OS.

<i>It is <b>entirely</b> the fault of the <b>idiot</b> who hard-coded the driver to only access the first CPU when they wrote the driver.</i> And it is <i>entirely</i> the fault of the hardware manufacturer for <i>not</i> making sure that the drivers were written right in the first place, for <i>not</i> testing the drivers thoroughly, and for <i>not</i> taking the time to fix their drivers when the problem is discovered. So blame the manufacturer of the hardware that has the faulty drivers because it is completely, totally, and irrevocably <i>their</i> fault and their fault <i>alone</i>.

Frankly, it's an issue that pisses me off greatly because the company that I work for has had to deal with a hardware manufacturer that refuses to fix this flaw, and thanks to a certain mutual-exclusivity contract that gives us and them both certain benefits we can't just go with another manufacturer instead. :(

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>